Merryweather Fire King - a novice build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A major milestone today. Got the drive chains mounted and finally managed to get the FK moving. The video is a bit short cos it careered off under my car. Then I realised that the front wheels were not actually bolted on.

The end is in sight - just got the hoses and water stuff to do. Then a bit of cleaning and touch up the paint

snip

And finally I have drive to the wheels. Fitting the chains was a nightmare. To start with I made the chains such that they just fitted with a minimum of play. But the links kept jamming. So I tried making them a bit longer. But you can't get a bit longer because you have to increase by one whole link. The end result means that the chain flaps around terribly. So I'm going to try inserting some sort of tensioner. Anyway the engine does drive the wheels which to me is a major achievement. I was quite pleased that the control valve does indeed control the speed. Pity the wheels are a bit wobbly, so I'll have to have a look at that!

snip
Well - - - there is such a think like a 1/2 link.
Dunno what size chain it is that you're using but I've used such on 40 50 and 60 chain.

The last part of this build is the hose assembly. After a load of constructive suggestions from other members I finally settled on Shoe Laces ! It is actually Tubular Cotton Braid Undyed, and I'm quite pleased with it's appearance.

Hose assembly.jpg

These are all the components to assemble it to the pump:

Hose with fittings.jpg

Here it is mounted round the front. The hose is connected to the pump and wraps around the sides and front. Astonishingly it does actually pump water with a jet about six feet into the air. Video to follow shortly. Added a few more details on the front, like what Cherry Hill did. Spot lights, a Bell and two nozzles

Front view.jpg

Now all that remains is to completely strip it down, clean up all the gunge and repaint as required.

Disassembled parts.jpg

Bob

Beautiful.

I've been following and I have enjoyed the build articles. As regards recent work, I really like the hose connections: Great Thinking and Great Building.

Thank You for posting,

--ShopShoe

Fire King is finished:
Side view #1.jpg
Side view.jpg

Black etch.jpg
Front with FK etch.jpg
LCC Etch.jpg

Done the final details . Added pin striping on the side panels. A bit shaky, but I'm not too displeased with my first attempt. Then I added the etchings. I relied on a tutorial from another member on this forum to copy from a photo print onto a piece of brass. I found this was a bit hit and miss. After several attempts to iron on the text I manged to get most of the letters on. Again, not perfect but passable. If it ever stops raining I will post some videos of it working.

Made a bit of a mistake with the driver. I didn't realise I had ordered a headless model and I have failed miserably in trying to get one of the female members of the family to make him some clothes. The brass helmet will be a bit of a challenge!

It has been quite a marathon project. It has taken me two years and at a conservative estimate I reckon about 1500 hours. Possibly nearer two thousand. I'm not sure I would have started it if I had known how long it was going to take!

Anyway, it has been good fun, and I will certainly enjoy Hogmanay tonight, then I can start on my next project - "Stephenson's Rocket"

Thanks to all those who have helped and a Happy New Year to all.

Bob

Amazing Bob! From the chain drive to the side mounted suction, spoked wheels to the fire box, a spectacular representation on 19th century firefighting apparatus. Thanks so much for taking us along on your extensive build and congratulations on a most excellent model.

I, for one, look forward to seeing the run and pump video. As mentioned in a previous post, while I retired as a Fire Chief, I spent my time as a Fire Engineer/Driver at the pump panel of many apparatus, especially early on in my career, and ANY fire engine doing its intended purpose, no matter how small, stirs the blood!

Thanks again,
John W

Latest posts

Back