Mentor for First Robotics

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob shutt

Reaction score
Hi Group,
I have not been building much this year but I did volunteer to be a mentor for a First Robotics team here in Mansfield. I am over seeing the fabrication and have had the students running the bridge ports at the community college. We have the robot built and are learning how to drive it. Check out on the web "First Robotics"

Last edited:
Nice BOb.
My wife and I went to see the movie spare parts last week.
so have had robotics on my mind some.
Ironic now that many of the nations schools have dropped shop classes and sold the machines the president and others is again seeing the need for maker spaces in schools and the value of hands on engineering.

For those not familiar with the movie, spare parts is a Hollywood dramatization. of a true story. underwater dreams is the documentary movie. Here is the nutshell version of the story.
In 2004 a couple teachers from Carl Hayden Community high school in Phoenix Arizona started a robotics club to build an ROV . There was the two advisers and 4 undocumented immigrant teens. When they entered the competition in Santa Barbara CA. they decided to Compete in the explorer (College Division)
they figured if they were going to lose they would lose against the best schools in the country. Well they Won against the best schools in the country .
Tin

One group of kids were drawing in CAD and I had a group machining. I had one sawing the blanks, one facing the parts to length, one drilling holes, and one milling angles. Three mills running at once. Pretty cool to see. I can post pictures after the build time is over. Top secret right now. There are over 8000 teams associated with First Robotics. Our first competition is March 4-7th in Pittsburgh.

What is the competition this year ???
A few years ago the cabin fever expo had a first robotics meet at the summer show Iron fever in York.

The company I work for kind of sponsors the local community college robotics club by providing them with a scale., and service when needed.
Tin

I used to be a mentor for Team 904 from Grand Rapids, MI. I now work 40minutes away and work a ton more hours so I have not been able to volunteer. I still believe in this program and would encourage anyone to get involved whether a student or mentor. See if there is a team in your area and see what you can do to help or at least go to a regional competition and experience it, it's pretty great!

usfirst.org

Pittsburgh Regionals Took 6th place in qualifications out of 54 teams. Lost in semi finals but qualified for Nationals

Our team took high seed rookie team in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. In Cleveland took second place overall. We will be heading to World competition week after NAMES.

DSCI0170.jpg

Back