MEMSyard Wars - Blast Finger Engine Competition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post is definitely getting exciting now, except for one thing.

No sign of the fuddy duddy techies.

Whats wrong gents, don't want to lower yourself to this sort exercise?, or just scared stiff that some of the newbies will run your a$$ ragged?. :-[ :-[ :-[

Smile for a change, it works wonders. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You only have a few days to take part, or are you more used to it being in years timescale. If so, I am sure we could have a comp to see how slowly one can be built. Re-read this post in five years for the first techie entry. :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D

Gauntlet down again. :p :p

Boglet, with the pointy poking stick.

Well, it does seem that my poking has fallen on blind eyes and deaf ears.
I can just see them all, when they read it, spluttering and mumbling, harrumphing and muttering about 'bloody upstart' under their breath. Getting ready to write a 25 page letter of complaint to the Times newspaper (in this case to admin).

Looks like I will have to write a four page precise, about how to correctly deburr a 0.3219" bored hole, just to get their attention.

Their loss, we will just carry on smiling and enjoying ourselves.

I think there is at least another three engines about to make an appearance, hopefully more.

So the competition is hotting up, you have Steve, with his proliferation of great ideas and engines, Mike and his cut down tractor, Dave with his washable and flushable engine, we've got Roy with his finger pulling whizzbang, and last but not least, Al with his pile of MDF and a brick, which doesn't quite make it to finger engine status just yet.

There is still time to get your fingers on the move.

Blunt stick Boggy

Hi All,

I would have posted my raw ingredients ealier this weekend but had a lost phone issue with the photo on.

I've tried to not look at the rest of the thread so as not to pinch anybody elses ideas. The granite surface plate will not be included!

Picture-1.jpg

I'm not sure if I will get to work on this before the end of the long weekend due to family visits however I hope to get some time during the week.

Al

You've seen Al's mottley collection, this is mine.

crusoebits.jpg

Gathered while on my early morning preamble with Bandit the hound. Plus a bit of the neighbours lilac tree before he got up.
Will have to let it all dry out a bit, otherwise the glue won't stick. That is called preplanning the job.
A little bit of ali tube for bearings, a few little screws and maybe a bit of lead sheet if I can't get the flywheel to turn very well.

John Crusoe

I 'ate wud

So here is my little effort, gathered together this morning, left to dry out a bit and finished about an hour ago.

Total time 1 hour 25 minutes.

Flywheel emerging from the undergrowth.

crusoebits1.jpg

Right side.

crusoebits2.jpg

Left side.

crusoebits3.jpg

Robinson Crusoe's stress relief for a Friday afternoon. Running.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XnsxXUKhs3U[/ame]

This one will not be put forwards for judging.
It runs better than the three I have just made. Maybe I should have become a carpenter.

John

Now that's an engine. Very rustic and it runs great. If you were a boy scout you could have earned your pioneering merit badge for this baby. Showing off you lashings and knots, not to mention your whittling skills. Nicely done.

Thanks lads, but don't forget, when you use nature, all your complicated shaping is done for you, all you have to do is join it together.

This one is going on the display trail.

John

Well done all guys ;D ................ just got back from a long, tiring but very enjoyable weekend and reading this thread has just put the icing on the cake for a great bank holiday ............... voting on this one is gonna be a ***** ............ err ??? ....... very hard ;)

Dave .................. aka CC

John,

Ingenious as hell but so blingless. Next time keep the leaves (and maybe some flowers) on the branches. Maybe nail a couple of dead sparrows to the flywheel to increase the moment.

Marv,
Nature needs no bling at all, and the sparrows were not needed. In fact I was so surprised at how the almost square flywheel turned, I am going to hack one out of metal to see how it compares to a round one. As I said, this is the best running finger engine I have made.

John

Yup.. just proves the poor guy really is out of his tree...(grin)

"Tastes like wild hickory nuts to me" ... Eul Gibbons

Steve

John I was amazed at how well that ran.
Beautiful in its own way too.
Tim

Fellow Fingerites.

There is not long now until the closing of the competition, midnight, your local time 29th May 2008. That is only 2 1/2 days away. You should each be able to make about 50 engines in that time.

So get your fingers out, finish up making, and get posting.

Show us your super digit-al machines.

Give the membership time to cogitate, inwardly digest and make a decision, hopefully in your favour.

Numb fingered Bogs.

That's great John, maybe you should call it "the Bedrock blaster"

Giles

21 minutes... not bad, not quite as good of a runner as some have already produced but it was a flash of inspiration and a rush of blood to the head as I was making my breakfast!!

Hey, it's all just for fun any way.... Right?? :big:

materials:
DSC01680.jpg

getting there...
DSC01681.jpg

nearly done,
DSC01682.jpg

TA DA!!
DSC01683.jpg

The proof of time is on the photo's ...the camera never lies ! ;D

And now.... The proof of kinda awkward running.... should have put butter into my raw materials shot for use as axle grease!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsbeIscub3A[/ame]

Well it's not that bad... Is it? :big:

Ralph.

May I humbly submit my entry for the Blast Finger Engine:

No time over the weekend so done during the lunch hour at work.

Total building about 1hour 10 mins but had lots of thinking time until now so really lots longer but difficult to judge.

As can be seen, as I'd not made one before I left plenty of margin for some adjustment, the pillar of allthread wasn't cut down on purpose so it is still good for other things, the wooden spoon was a recycled mulled wine stirrer. The base is a piece of ash nabbed from the chippies shop.

Picture009-3.jpg

Picture008-4.jpg

Picture006-4.jpg

Picture007-4.jpg

Picture010-4.jpg

I'll try to include the video of the run later however one is an action pic. Look forward to any comments.

Al

Ralph, by the looks of that, you don't half eat some muck. Now if you could do it with a full English, it would be a lot more palletable.

I see you've been stirring it again Al, wooden spoons and all that. What's all this, more than an hour for lunch, some people have all the luck.

Congratulations to both of you, well designed and a good make in short time scales.

John

Just noticed, nearly 1100 reads in six days. So the post must be appealing to some, just for the fun factor alone, never mind all the new designs.

Back