MEMSyard Wars - Blast Finger Engine Competition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Just to lighten things up and get a bit of jovial competition going I am suggesting a 'blast' finger engine competition.

It relies on your total truthfullness, but only on the accounting of time. You can stop and start at any time, but all making time is to be added up, so 10 mins here, 30 mins there, to allow for things like glue drying time, meals etc. It will be up to you to tally and truthfully submit your time.

There are a few rules.

1. You are not allowed either lathe or miller (except for use as a drill press) in the build.

2. It can be made of any material, wood, plastic, metal, WHY, but somewhere on the machine, you must use at least part of a round wire coathanger.

3. No commercial or premade parts allowed, that includes cutting parts or marking out to rough size before you begin. Fixings and raw materials (tube, screws, bearings) don't count in that rule. You can pre plan slightly and draw a basic sketch, to be shown with raw materials pic, or you can 'wing' it.

4. It be fully operational, and tweaking time is to be included.

5. Four pics to be taken. Raw materials, doesn't need to be all, as you can change your mind or replace bits during the build, two progress and finished article. Plus if possible a short vid showing it working (not compulsory, but, how do you prove it works). Photo and vid time not included in build time.

Anything else goes. So you are allowed to get materials together, take your picture, and the time starts on the first cut.

If you are interested, just submit your name to this post.

It should start sometime next week, and all machines to be submitted by one week later.

Judging will be done by a combination of time taken and how good it looks (but not too good), and will be done by membership poll over one week (you can not vote for yourself, but you can vote for a competitor if you think it is really good).

So drop your heavy projects and see what you can really do in a couple of hours.

I will build one to the above rules if this competition goes ahead, but I will discount my entry as I know all the pitfalls and designs, it would not be fair. But a quick clue, stay loose.

John

John
Do we get to wear our reading glasses and is it the right or left hand we have to tie behind our backs?

Steve
thinking laser polymer rapid prototyping is the loop hole

Cedge said:
John
Do we get to wear our reading glasses and is it the right or left hand we have to tie behind our backs?

Steve
thinking laser polymer rapid prototyping is the loop hole
I'm thinking one could be done faster than the laser prototypers I've seen could whack one out, but it might be close, depending on how 'raw' the stock has to be.. Maybe a rule that all raw stock has to have at least one new cut or drill hole in or on it.

Gotcha!!

Any way you like Steve, as long as you stick to the rules.

Or is that too much to ask?

Gauntlet now deposited, and you walked straight into it.

You have now only one way to go, to save face.

I think your a$$ will be in a bit of a sling due to rule 3

draw a basic sketch

Not a full blown cad drawing. While you draw it, and play about with gizmos, I will be finished. You can try it if you want.

I will be finished within 90 mins approx, if not sooner. How long would it take you?

Still up to the the challenge? Or is it all hot air?

Just remember, I am used to working with one hand, but I will take pity on you and let you use both.

Anyone else want to put their mouth where their skill is, and take up this easy challenge.

Sir Bogs of the slighly circular table.

Nice try John... but you're fishing with the wrong bait. I'll be that wimpy old guy in the bleachers for this one. Hey... it's not my fault you are already having post sale withdrawal symptoms...LOL You do look darned good in the cape and tights, once again..

Steve

John I tried this evening and made a cool flywheel but the connecting rod/crank journal/finger button stroke got me. What is the secret??? I know you are going to be with out machinery for a little while is this the kind of projects we are to expect from you? I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem but Rule 3 probably gets me more than Steve. I can't build a camp fire without making a cad drawing first :p.
Tim

Goodness me Steve, I thought you would have put up a better fight that that, you are the hatchet man after all.

Tim,

I still have all my machinery. I put this on here as a bit of light relief to see if anyone would give it a go. No challenges, just a bit of fun.

But it looks like everyone needs cheering up a bit, no takers yet.

The secret for the strokes was revealed in the post here

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1884.30

Look for the sketch and the text above it. No rocket science.

John

John
Just so you know you've got my attention, I was very tired and I went to sleep at 11:00 pm tonight. It is now 2:00 am and I've just awakened with a potential design in my head. I'm going to go back to sleep in a few minutes to finish up the design...LOL. If it's running by morning I'll be up for your little challenge, although it's not likely to be anything like you'd expect.

Am I correct in assuming the use of a power saw, pedestal grinder and polishing wheel are not verboten?

Steve
Hatchet?.... you mean this little ol' thing?

Ok.... I'm interested and up for it! Not too sure if I can do as well and or fast as some of you with your 'power saw' and other 'make it easy' equipment. But I'll have a go! ;D

90 Min's :eek: that's going to be interesting John! I think I may take a little longer!?

Are people permitted to use ball bearings?
Fixings and raw materials (tube, screws, bearings) don't count in that rule. You can pre plan slightly and draw a basic sketch, to be shown with raw materials pic, or you can 'wing' it.
as I don't got non of those yet, and they make spinning easy!

Still I'll give it a go..... If a 'not built much' like me is up for it, why are there not so many of you seasoned chaps willing to have a go?

COME ON!!!! It'll be fun! ;D (sorry for the use of the F word there! :D)

You get the starting pistol ready I'm on my marks :big:

Ralph.

The rules are what the rules are, anything else goes.

As I said, this is a quick and dirty job. As long as it works like a finger engine you could make it out of anything and with anything except for the things like premade flywheels etc.

Ralph, I can give you as many bearings as you want when you visit tomorrow, but remember, bearings take time to fit.

Just to give you a bit of a pointer, mine will be mainly wood, no accurate bearing surfaces and will look like crap. But mine won't be judged.

If you haven't got a round wire coathanger, I have some for sale at $15 each + postage.

Come on lads, lighten up, have a go, and maybe get worldwide fame for a little bit of your time and effort.

You have the weekend to plan it out and get prepared.

Or do we have a load of sunflower coloured, barnyard poultry in amongst our members?

John

John
Wrong...LOL Yours will be judged much more harshly since you've already got endless hours of practice in becoming the Bling King of Fingering .

The biggest hoot is that I did indeed go back to sleep and finish designing the little engine. I awoke this morning with a selection of three workable designs in my head to choose from. A couple of quick pencil sketches confirmed that even though I could probably be declared a wee bit psychotic, I've apparently not lost the ability to solve technical problems in my sleep.

Say when and we'll dive into this one. Wood?.... WOOD?... sheeesh.

Steve

I will build one to the above rules if this competition goes ahead, but I will discount my entry as I know all the pitfalls and designs, it would not be fair.

Please read my previous posts with great care, not half asleep.

This isn't about design. it is about speed.

Buildus Bogliditus

Buildus Backdoorum Bogliditus...

Ok...I read your angle now....LOL. I'm still in.

Steve

I'm in. Actually, I'm done. I think I followed the rules. 45 min using round wire coathanger.
IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDoOm9pQHhw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDoOm9pQHhw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Guy
Now, that's thinking outside of the box. Absolutely, you appear to have met the guidelines with a hand full of trump cards. 45 minutes is going to be darned tough to beat...LOL

Steve

My star man, what a fantastic achievement. This will give us all something to chase.

You didn't have to use nothing but coathangers, but a fantastic achievement. Pure design.

So lets all take notice, it can be done, and done well.

So it looks like the competition is on, one week from tonight it finishes.

Don't let this great one put you off, have a go anyway. Just for fun, and lets see the results. Even if it takes you a couple of hours, you will enjoy yourself.

Again K, absolutely fantastic.

John

BTW, I am sure you could get ten bucks apiece for them if ever you get short of cash.

Man Kati!!! That is almost exactly what I put together last night and couldn't get it to work. Are you hiding in my garage too! My flywheel's cooler but your base has got mine by a long shot. And also I'd rather not talk about comparing times , I'll just say I was slightly over 45min ;)
Look good,
Tim

Here is my go John not very good but it works it took 38 mins to build
i used bearings bolts and washers and the coat hanger is the connecting rod the flywheel is the centre of a large bearing with washers brazed in the bore the main bearings are just tacked on 6mm bolts crank pin is 4mm bolt brazed to a bearing hope i didn't break any rules
Mike
fingerengine003.jpg

fingerengine002.jpg

fingerengine001.jpg

Not a very good video as i was holding camera in one hand and trying to operate engine with other.
Will give it a lick of paint and post another pic
Mike

Mike, very agricultural. Well done. One thing I didn't expect was an all metal one like that.

It isn't up to me to judge, that is up to the other members after the comp is over. A combination of speed and design.

But if this is the sort of engines we are going to get, it will be a very close call.

Now a question for the two who have already submitted.

Was it fun or not, to make a working engine in less than an hour?

I know mine will be nothing compared to these two, but I will still get one built next week, to see if I can do it.

Envious John

John

It was great fun apart from burning my finger on hot metal.
I will try and upload a clip of it running
Mike

Latest posts

Back