Melting Iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aonemarine

Reaction score
You can never get enough videos of melting iron ;D
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyPPogbDnE[/ame]
this is me casting some iron parts for my day land steam engine build

I am only now learning that casting iron is possible from a home foundry. I was under the impression the torch/blower/oven combination was too difficult. But from videos such as yours, I see it is very possible.
Most interesting. Thanks for posting.
Bovine

Its actually pretty easy to melt iron once you figure out how to get the temp up. I am using a Reil burner with a hair dryer taped to it LOL.
nothing hi tech on this one. I started casting about 4 years ago doing mostly aluminum, brass bronze and lost wax casting. I had a couple of failed attempts at iron making mostly blackened goo then one day after a aluminum pour I decided to have another go at it. It just wasnt getting up to temp, the metal was orange/yellow but not quite molten, so I decided to try to put a little more air in to lean it out a bit. That did the trick, it went to a white hot in just under a minute. I did have to buy my wife a new hair dryer though......

Great video. Just wondering what the FeSi does?

It makes the graphite in the iron move to the outer surfaces at an earlier time so you dont get the white hard iron skin

Thanks Aonemarine. I shall get my furnace out of mothballs and give it a try

I really enjoy being able to cast my own parts, only problem is that the castings for the engine im building now are too big for the size furnace i built. The cylinders are cast iron and weight 10 lbs each and the crucible only holds about 12 lbs so it doesnt leave me anything for the risers. :eek: oh well i still have alot more patterns to build then ill worry about the larger furnace.

Loved your video. I have poured aluminum and some bronze with success, but have not tackled iron. The castings look great.
Do you scrap iron for the material? What do you use for flux and additives?
Thanks for your help and for sharing your knowledge. Looks like it is very possible to do at home.

Mike

Yes its scrap iron, well to some its scrap, to me its my new parts. I use no fluxes or degasser just a liberal amount of feric silicone, about 2% for thin castings and half that for thick stuff.

Back