MB building Upshur Farm Engines.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Gail,

Your comment reminded me of a material we used to isolate photomicrography cameras - Sorbothane. It is used in lab environments and although pricey, very effective at isolating vibration. I still have a good sized chunk (1/2" x 12" X 18") and will give it a try.

Best,
Mike

Good tip Gail, and certainly worth a try. I don't have any on hand at the moment to try out when I fire up engine #5 later today. I have some at my summer place that I unroll to cover a seat in my boat. It woorks great to keep my slippery American Eskimo Dog from sliding around when I take him on boat rides. :big:

-MB

For my engines I've just used the little self adhesive feet you can get at Walmart you can get felt rubber or silicon. They work good at taking up some or the vibes and are easy to put in place.

doc1955 said:
For my engines I've just used the little self adhesive feet you can get at Walmart you can get felt rubber or silicon. They work good at taking up some or the vibes and are easy to put in place.

Thanks for the tip Doc. I put four feet under the wood bases, but they are a very hard rubber with no isolation quality to speak of.

I pass by a WM every week, so I'll stop to take a look at what they have.

-MB

Hello MB,

I assume you are off doing your summer 'things' and may not be following this thread, but on the off chance you still check in, will you share what you did with the main bearings?

I've been over those plans I-don't-know how many times, and all it says is to make the main bearings from standard 0.5" bearing materials that is pre-drilled to the correct ID. I've done that but have no idea how these are supposed to be fixed in the side plates.

Did I miss something?

Best,
Mike
p.s. - just finished up the oilers per your method - very slick!

Mike,

I think MB is preoccupied riding his WaveRunner around the lake.

Just make the fit snug and Loctite (red) them in place.

-Trout

Hello Trout,

I assumed he would be gone most of the summer from some of his previous posts.

The method you suggest is probably what was intended (couldn't find anything in the plans).

I might try putting a setscrew in through the back.

Best,
Mike

Methinks this massive undertaking of constructing 5 Upshur engines at once may have had an effect on MB. Waverunner season is well past now but alas, he has not resurfaced.

Hey MB, we need someone with your skills to build up three or four Panther Pups and document the process along the way. *beer*

-Trout

Troutsqueezer said:
Methinks this massive undertaking of constructing 5 Upshur engines at once may have had an effect on MB. Waverunner season is well past now but alas, he has not resurfaced.

Hey MB, we need someone with your skills to build up three or four Panther Pups and document the process along the way. *beer*

-Trout

Hey Trout! Me thinks you may be right! I pushed myself really hard last season.

Seadoo time was over a while ago and I've been involved with my new ATV (serviced and sold my old one). I should be back down to the shop in a week or two. No engine project in mind at the moment, but I have plenty of minor repairs to catch up on, misc repair parts to make, and preping for the fast approach of winter. The numerous projects should keep me busy for a while.

Panther pup? I hope that's a 1 cylinder wobbler that I never heard of. ;D

MB

Ah....you are alive, good to see!

Panther Pup, should be a piece of cake for The Butcher. :) http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml This one is on my list.

What kind of ATV did you get? I love mine, use it several times a week around the ranch for a variety of things. Yamaha Kodiak.

-T

Troutsqueezer said:
Ah....you are alive, good to see!

Panther Pup, should be a piece of cake for The Butcher. :) http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml This one is on my list.

What kind of ATV did you get? I love mine, use it several times a week around the ranch for a variety of things. Yamaha Kodiak.

-T

Piece of cake? I don't know about that. Hmmm....

I got a left over crated (green, of course) 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 550 EPS. Its a big step up from my 250 (239 cc) Bear Tracker china clone. I made a bit of a mistake letting "Honey" take it for a ride, She likes the EPS. She didn't ride the old one much claiming it was to hard to steer and control. Guess I'll be waiting for my turn to go riding!

Didn't spend much time on the Seadoo this summer. My Canadian friend wanted to go flying instead. That was a lot of fun when I could keep my mind of the obvious dangers. Running out of fuel or breaking down on the Seadoo would be just a minor inconvenience. In a plane it becomes a bit more than "minor". My friend would always re-assure me (with a sheepish grin) that the trees would slow us down, if he were forced to land. :eek:

-MB

MB, it looks like you used head gaskets on these. Was it a precaution or was there substantial leaking? What material did you use, hombre?

Mine's getting close.

Thanks.

-Trout

Troutsqueezer said:
MB, it looks like you used head gaskets on these. Was it a precaution or was there substantial leaking? What material did you use, hombre?

Mine's getting close.

Thanks.

-Trout

I was wondering how yours was coming along, glad to hear your on the job!

I used a head gasket out of necessity. Never tried the Upshur with out one. On a small low pressure air engine I can get away with out using a gasket. Not so with an I.C. engine that has higher pressure, thermal expansion,etc. If your head and cylinder surfaces match up nice you can probably get it to run and add a gasket later, but it will probably leak some.

I used Fel-Pro 1/32" rubber fiber gasket (dark gray color). One of your local auto parts store's should have it. I don't think you need any thing fancy with a low temperature hit-miss like the Upshur.

-MB

A little late, but I just found this thread and have fully enjoyed it. I hope to be building my Upshur Farm Engine soon.
Great photography!
Alan

Latest posts

Back