Max stroke for miniature engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakc

Reaction score
Most of my crankshaft designs so far have been on the smallish side, never bigger than a 1.25" roundstock.
I have one last (quickly fading) opportunity to obtain some materials and want to
build a crankshaft grinder, and the first dilemma is how big to make it. It would be more practical if it could cover say a lawnmower crankshaft if necessary, but wondering what would be the most useful size.

So, out of all the model engine designs out there, whats the maximum stroke you have had to build?

So far the biggest stroke I have done is 1 1/2", but then again, I'm just a noob.

I suppose it depends on what size (diameter) of grinding wheel that you are going to use?

I suppose it depends on what size (diameter) of grinding wheel that you are going to use?

Yes, but slightly backwards. With a clean sheet of paper the grinding wheel, shaft bearings, and center heights depend on the stroke you want to accommodate.

Latest posts

Back