Material questions?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.metalbythefoot.com/ In Kansas City

They yard in Witicha has a LOT of cut off's just call them I think they can help you that way, they dont show that side of in online.

I'm new btw. Hello from Ks.

GJ

Thats right - but I doubt if steel prices in US are much higher than in Germany. Am I wrong?

Remember, these are ends. Not the length You need.

Also ends are scrap. Metalshops sell them to scrap yards for scrap price.

Except ***************s like us there is no commercial company buying ends for their production. And I bet this guy bought his ends from large shops, offering 10 percent more than steel scrap price. Then he adds 200-250% more and sells these ends via internet.

IMO its important that people compare prices; and not telling themselves this looks pretty cheap. Steel and other metal prices are in Germany very negotioable and subject to LARGE discounts for large customers. Believe it or not, large companies with large volumes of steel still buy basic qualities for ~1€/kg + VAT.
And I guess the situation in the states is similar.

Mike

Speedy metals is not selling ends. But your right there has to be better prices around. Still the USA is not known as a low cost place to buy things. Capitalism can do that you know.

Still the USA is not known as a low cost place to buy things. Capitalism can do that you know.

I buy 90% of my dirt bike parts out of the USA. Even with shipping to Australia, they are much cheaper than sourcing locally. For example, a genuine Kawasaki clutch cable ex USA - $15.44 plus shipping, maybe $30 total. Same cable ex local supplier - $120.00!

It's true for a lot of other things as well. The U.S. is my number 1 shopping destination :).

was at the yard in wichita today and they have a lot of aluminum blocks at $1.25 a pound. lots of various sizes such as 2x2, 6x6 and lenths all over the place. talked to a guy named darrell in the outsde office and he said no problem shipping by ups ground. just give him a call at877 265 4672. metals express and the like charge about $5.00 a pound. any type of stuctural is $2.50 a pound and plate or sheet is $3.00 a pound. all in all a very good place to shop. steve

Latest posts

Back