Hi Folks!Hi Geken
I found your video on You-Tube just yesterday. Played it over and over just to listen to the great sound ( the engine not the music, not that there is anything wrong with the music ). Nicely done. And I like your monkey (ape).
Hi Stan. The monkey is my profile picture on YoutubeHi Folks!
These are beautiful engines, the work in this thread is great to see. BUT I'M GOING NUTS!!! Watched the video at least three times, and never saw a monkey. Must be a term I don't know or an inside joke. Please help me scratch the itch in my brain that keeps going "What monkey...."
I've been wondering how you were coming along with this build. I would like to drop by, but I'm working and won't be able to find the time, until the season is over at least. I can hardly wait for you to finish and show us it runningSpring is not a good time to start a build. I have been keeping busy cleaning up after winter and enjoying some leisure time outside. I have 5 acres with lots of trees and it takes awhile to clean up. I live in a tiny town called Mossyrock. Its named that because everything gets covered with moss here. What time I have been in my shop has gone to annual machine maintenance. And continuing experimentation and perfecting my investment casting equipment and skills. Summer is now here and I hope to get a little more time in the shop.
I have now advanced to expecting good results rather than hoping for the best when casting. The parts that gave me the most trouble were the heads. Size was the issue. They are 3.6” in diameter. The main problem is that the pattern expands when heated before it turns to a gas during the burnout. That results in cracks in the plaster. Making the pattern a bit large and putting a radius on sharp edges helped a lot. And upgrading to a plaster made for use with resin patterns helped as well. Up to this point I have been getting away with plaster made for casting with wax patterns. The other problem was clearance between the side of the flask and the pattern. .25” is good. I had only .125” on both sides if centered. I had a couple of tries where the pattern touched the side and very bad things happened. I had to use a 4” flask as the 5” flask I ordered has been on back order for some time now.
The cylinder assembly now has its mounts and the exhaust manifold installed. The valve surfaces have been polished. And the holes for the studs that will hold the steam chests have been drilled and tapped. 2-56 screws
The heads were giving me problems in printing. The resin is very brittle and required very heavy supports yet still tended to be ripped apart during the printing. I finally got a few decent prints and tried to cast them. I got the plaster cracking under control but kept having surface issues in the area near where the sprue attached. I finally accepted the fact the heads would not be perfect and used the best two. The heads have now been machined to fit and drilled. And the ends of the cylinders have been drilled and tapped.
View attachment 138488 View attachment 138489 View attachment 138490 View attachment 138491 View attachment 138492 View attachment 138493
This last photo is of the plan set. 294 pages of drawings and illustrations. Mr Carlstedt did a fantastic job. But I may have found an omission or I might simply be blind. As I look forward to what to do next I have been looking at the drain valves. Several of them connect to what looks like a three way valve(2ea) just under the steam chest covers. I have not been able to find drawings for these valves. Help Richard Help.
Thanks for watching and weighing in.
Enter your email address to join:
Register today and take advantage of membership benefits.
Enter your email address to join: