Mark's Build of Rupnow Vertical IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, the link to the post that you provided has the exact same info as the link I had - same guy, same pictures, same info. Cool, didn't realize he was on this forum.

I've been continuing to plug away on the engine in the rare amounts of free time I have had. I have some pictures but can't upload them at this time. But I do have a question or two.

What do I need other than the points and condenser for the ignition system. I assume I need a coil and obviously a battery. Was looking at a coil this aft on Amazon but wasn't sure what to buy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW5QKJC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This one indicated: Internal Resistance. For straight 12 volt systems without series resistance

Based on a thread I found somewhere that indicated needed to put in resistors etc into the system so wondered if the above would not require that.

Anything else I need on that front?

I've been thinking of one of those jump start battery packs for the battery portion.. thus have it for jump starting the car when necessary as well - saw someone at Cabin Fever using one and thought it was a great idea.. especially when travelling long distance to show to have that as an extra piece of equipment.

I've got the carburetor body, ends, throttle lever and the throttle part that goes into the carburetor body completed this weekend. I also completed and mounted the gas tank bracket (not the gas tank). The engine is mostly assembled and even without the rubber o-ring on the piston it seems to get some compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either coil will do. you really don't need any kind of resistor, but if the coil has an internal resistor it won't make any difference. Big 8 cylinder cars had a resistor so that the car started on a full 12 volts but as the resistor wire heated up and built resistance the voltage flow to the coil cut back to 8 volts. This was sufficient to keep the car running all right, but not enough voltage for starting. This was all intended to make the ignition points last longer because of lower voltage flows. With a one cylinder engine you will never see any difference.---Brian

I also wouldn't pay that much for a coil.Go to your local discount auto parts store(or even ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-I...tem33b048002f:g:-2cAAOSw5dNWn~46&vxp=mtr),and ask for a coil for a 50,60,70's Chevy,Dodge,BOP.Ask for the cheapest they have.Like Brain(oops,Brian,for him they are interchangeable,lol,jk)said,a 1 Cyl will never see the load of a V8.Kinda like a flea farting in an elephants nose:fan:

Some more progress.

I finished up all the parts for the carburetor on Saturday and I just finished up the main body of the gas tank.

Here are some pictures. Don't look too closely at the brazing job on the tank. I just got a set of oxy-acetylene torches on Friday and this is probably the second time in 25yrs that I've done any brazing. I have to admit with a 00 tip on the torch, I was able to silver solder (45% silver) with great ease, compare to the constant battle I've had trying to do it with my MAPP gas torch.

Getting closer but still a handful of parts to make and then final assembly.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

I'm still trying to get the engine completed. Been sucked down by life 😀 Had hoped to complete it last weekend but my wife suddenly decided that she needed a quilt rack made to hang her latest piece on. She suggested PVC water pipe but I figured that would never do - it would sag and look plain ugly.

Instead i made 2 - 5 legged bases with legs blind dovetailed to a central hub. Hub has a stainless steel center that holds vertical uprights with a hand screw to lock upright to base. Upright is schedule 80 aluminum pipe along with another schedule 80 pipe connecting the two uprights. I turned two caps for the horizontal out if 1.5" aluminum. I reamed a 31/32" hole through them so that they can slide over turned down ends if the vertical. Counterbored the holes1-1/8" end mill. The fit is purposely sloppy- .012" larger as its very difficult to lift the bar on with a quilt on it. Any tighter and there could be no room for error such as sliding one end in before the other. View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1494622565.818721.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1494622583.870704.jpg

Not quite done yet. I want to add a bottom horizontal to keep the legs from getting kicked out. Then I want to polish to mirror finish in buffer. Right now its just been polished with emery clothe on the lathe. Pushed my lathe to the limits on turning ends down in verticals as they are 86" long.

Wife is happy she can show off her quilt - she spent 10 yrs cross stitching live verses from the bible and various hearts. She sewed all if em together and then quilted it. Do to the Aida cloth its very susceptible to wrinkling.

She had it hanging from my sons bunkbed but he's coming home next week for a few says after completing his AIT and then heading overseas. Flying to San Antonio in a few minutes to see his graduation so no work on engine this weekend.

Back