• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Many Edgar J. Westbury plans available

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just that I am interested: What is a Sealion and a Wall's Wizard? I won't snipe but I love that word "snipe". Makes me laugh.
Edward Westbury designed the SeaLion engine sometime after WW2, it is a 30 CC water cooled 4 cylinder gasoline model boat engine. Elmer Wall designed the Wizard sometime before WW2, it is a two cylinder air cooled gasoline engine. I am a Wall and Westbury model engine enthusiast. Wall is the father of American model engineering, having started designing and building miniature engines from 1920 or so until his death in 1949. Westbury was a similar pioneer in England but lived a little longer.

Edgar T Westbury please ! There is a good write up in'wiki-whatsit'

There is also reference to Percival Marshall, the publisher who employed him. Of course, Neville Shute Norway writing as Neville Shute was also a model engineer as well as a fine author and engineer

So, back to the thread, I'd love to see a list of all the plans you have. I would probably be interested in some of them. Just getting started as a model engineer, so I'm always keen to look at new plans etc.

I am interested in Westbury's SEALION and Wall's Wizard engines if you have drawings for them. I would also appreciate a listing of what you do have and what $ you expect for these drawings...

Per one of your other posts, you can simply reply to my message, if someone snipes off the purchase... well, we know that can happen and some people do not respect the rights of others but it does not hurt my feelings if someone is willing to offer to pay more than me but you would not have to sell immediately to a sniper would you? Listing the plans openly will also help you get the exposure you need to sell them.

Rod
Hi try this link Subject
It has. A number of articles and engine plans including sea lion plans and machining guides
I came across this link purely by chance

Almost all of this is filed in Model Engineer magazine at some point or another. I've still got a lot on my computer.

Probably I should be sensible and delete most of it as I'm simply too old to be bothered

H
Edgar T Westbury please ! There is a good write up in'wiki-whatsit'

There is also reference to Percival Marshall, the publisher who employed him. Of course, Neville Shute Norway writing as Neville Shute was also a model engineer as well as a fine author and engineer
Nevil Schute's book "Trustee from the Toolroom" is one of my favorite stories. Just located and bought a first edition for my library.

I am a Wall and Westbury model engine enthusiast.

You don't happen to have a decent photo of the 36cc Wall do you? I'm thinking of scratch building one but would like a better picture than what was in the original articles.

It has a number of articles and engine plans including sea lion plans and machining guides
I came across this link purely by chance
Sorry to set this off again: the linked site is, of course, a (massive) breach of copyright. I am a bit surprised that it is held on the late Ron Chernich's site.

Last edited:
I love Trustee from the Toolroom and it inspired me to start making the engine that I had pictured, so when I saw this thread I just had to post an image of the two items together. Finished the book, but still some work to do on the engine....

trustee-toolroom.jpg

I love Trustee from the Toolroom and it inspired me to start making the engine that I had pictured, so when I saw this thread I just had to post an image of the two items together. Finished the book, but still some work to do on the engine....

View attachment 117681
I lookt up Trustee .... in several book stores--Alibris had outrageous prices, but Abe had good prices. I do not understand this. Powells had nothing but out of stock. (I will not buy from amazog--evil). What surpized me most was the high number of different covers indicating many editions or reprints. Natrually, these book peeple never show what is in the book. I'd like to see some of whatever is in it, as if it is what I am looking for , I can buy it from Abes

There is an electronic version on Gutenberg.ca but must admit that I found my version in a secondhand bookshop

I lookt up Trustee .... in several book stores--Alibris had outrageous prices, but Abe had good prices. I do not understand this. Powells had nothing but out of stock. (I will not buy from amazog--evil). What surpized me most was the high number of different covers indicating many editions or reprints. Natrually, these book peeple never show what is in the book. I'd like to see some of whatever is in it, as if it is what I am looking for , I can buy it from Abes

There is a Neville Shute Society.

Years ago, I read his autobiography in 'Sliderule'
I was far too young really. If today, I would have been interested in the 'pay ' between' that went on with him and 'Barnes Wallis' and then, of course R.J Mitchell, the designer of the Schneider Trophy winnerrs and the the Spitfire. Shute and Airspeed of course created the "oxford" aircraft which introduced pilots onto multi engined aircraft in the RAF. Shute and Mitchel were 'masons' and I still wonder whether Barnes Wallis was as well.

You see for me, there was Boothman one of the pilots ? the S6B- and Hendon and VIP Spitfires that another Sergeant 'Freemason' looked after. His top engine basher was later a mason and my mate over many years.

Of course, we were too young to join at the time.

There is a Neville Shute Society.

Years ago, I read his autobiography in 'Sliderule'
I was far too young really. If today, I would have been interested in the 'pay ' between' that went on with him and 'Barnes Wallis' and then, of course R.J Mitchell, the designer of the Schneider Trophy winnerrs and the the Spitfire. Shute and Airspeed of course created the "oxford" aircraft which introduced pilots onto multi engined aircraft in the RAF. Shute and Mitchel were 'masons' and I still wonder whether Barnes Wallis was as well.

You see for me, there was Boothman one of the pilots ? the S6B- and Hendon and VIP Spitfires that another Sergeant 'Freemason' looked after. His top engine basher was later a mason and my mate over many years.

Of course, we were too young to join at the time.
What you are saying is foreign to me. Altho' a student of the wars all the way from Cromwell, to US civil wars to WWII including the 1871 attack on France, I do not know what you are referring to except some WWII aeroplanes that yuou are familiar with. the Freemasons? I thot about joining. some people thimk they are evil incarnate.

What you are saying is foreign to me. Altho' a student of the wars all the way from Cromwell, to US civil wars to WWII including the 1871 attack on France, I do not know what you are referring to except some WWII aeroplanes that yuou are familiar with. the Freemasons? I thot about joining. some people thimk they are evil incarnate.

At 18, I was in charge of a RAF Technical Library- it was 'exciting' Then I became the youngest NCO- for a time. lts of lovely money. Free ice hockey and ice dance tickets. Theatre tickets for 2 pence. Forged rail discount.Food stolen food from the Officers' Mess.
Then eventually, 'The Dirty Dozen' was partly filmed at RAF Hendon.

Freemasonry??? , I'm still a mentor, also an auditor, one of the few who became a Provincial Grand Lodge officer without being in the Chair of Solomon :). The rest, of course is a secret- or so they say:D

He worked under Barns Wallace but who was the better engineer .Although the R100 may have had some influence on that matter
Shute used his full name in engineering matters but left his last name out when writing as he thought it may undermine his engineering credibility
Not well up on modern history preferring ancient
The masons do a lot of good charitable work as well as playing with barrels .No connection this end been just a poor guy

Shute DID produce a very capable aircraft in the Airspeed 'Oxford'. It was far more advanced than AVRO(e)'s 'Anson' where in the earlier marks, the undercarriage was raised and lower by hand.
We, in '31' had a both wooden and metal wings on the 'A' Flight Ansons. These, incidentally, were being replaced by DH Devons which Doves in military guise. Two Gypsy Queen n71's- if you must.

'Masons' and charity?. Probably our greatest secret. I recall when 9/11 hapened that we were sending fairly vast sums to help in the rescue etc work. Long before the UK and USA Governments got round to it.
Shute, I must add, died in a Masonic care home in OZ.

Shute DID produce a very capable aircraft in the Airspeed 'Oxford'. It was far more advanced than AVRO(e)'s 'Anson' where in the earlier marks, the undercarriage was raised and lower by hand.
We, in '31' had a both wooden and metal wings on the 'A' Flight Ansons. These, incidentally, were being replaced by DH Devons which Doves in military guise. Two Gypsy Queen n71's- if you must.

'Masons' and charity?. Probably our greatest secret. I recall when 9/11 hapened that we were sending fairly vast sums to help in the rescue etc work. Long before the UK and USA Governments got round to it.
Shute, I must add, died in a Masonic care home in OZ.
-I noticed he died very young. What was that all ab out? I also noticed he has written many books including "on the Beach". I've already finished two books (almost) and they are very well written. I started them just to see what the writing is like and forgot to put them down! (Truely). I like his writing technique and honestly, I thimk he out does Hemmingway. I'd never heard of him before.

There's more to the Masons maybe than that--they do after all, have a reputation for toppling governments and starting wars. However, now, all that business has been taken over by the CFR and Her Majesties > > > >.

Latest posts

Back