• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Manassas, Alexandria and Washington stores for the model engineeer?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albertorc19

Reaction score
My sister is going to visit some friends in Manassas VA by the end of this month, she also plans to go to Alexandria and Washihgton DC. She offered to bring back a few things I'd like to purchase at USA.
I wonder if somebody knows about stores in that zone that carry supplies or kits for the model engineer. I'd like a cast kit, cast parts, a few small tools, or perhaps a small steam boat kit like those sold by Blue Jacket. Any suggestions?
Best regards

stores I have no Idea I have never seen any store carry most of the good stuff. Most stuff is mail order.

The closest place I can think of in that area is blue ridge machine.
they are a PM research dealer.

If you can get the friends mailing address mail order what you want/need have it sent to the house and your sister can pick it up when she arrives.
Tin

I work and live at this area and I can not think about any store, sorry. But I will try to find something and I will let you by PM if there is something.

Thanks a lot for your advice, the mail order is a good idea. By the way Tin Falcon, what means your Latin motto? I know what the first sentence means but the second I can't get it.

The last line I tweaked . I hope it is clearer now Victory loves careful(diligent) preparation .

I am no language expert . my homework consumed my dog.

Tin

Good motto, I'm not a Latin expert myself but as a boy raised Catholic I had to know a bunch of Church's Latin mottos by hearth. I had a good laugh with your second line ... poor dog.

Figured you would like it . The link above is to stores that carry rc planes cars maybe some boats.Some of the stores specialize in train stuff mostly HO.

It has been many years since I have seen any steam stufff in a store. IIRC there used to be a store on long beach Island in New Jersey that carried the Mammod engines and Edmund scientific had Jensen engines.

As far as the dog I figured you would like that one.
so now I ponder if I lived aboard was goodies would I want from USA.

Casting kits : The pm research line is nice and well priced. Jensen steam engines are very american and very historic they are not kits but comercial manufatured the old way and about $100 to $150 depending on the model there are nicer more expensive ones as well.
Midwest models has a nice fantail launch for $90 and same again for the engine kit.

productimagehandler.ashx

productimagehandler.ashx

Tools ? Well tell us what you are looking for and I will do my best to source it for you.
Tin

Good motto, I'm not a Latin expert myself but as a boy raised Catholic I had to know a bunch of Church's Latin mottos by hearth. I had a good laugh with your second line ... poor dog.

Hi Albert,

Mea Culpa ,Mea Culpa ,Mea Maxima Culpa.
Was in Houston,attended Sunday Mass,was too late for the mass in English.
Attended the mass in Mexican and understood every word said.There was the choir with trumpet and guitars too.
Brought back the sweet memories of mass said in Latin and High Mass sung Latin.
Happened to stopover in Rome,attended mass said in Italian which is close to Latin.

Regards,

Gus aka Augustine, ex-altar boy now with church across the road.No excuse to skip Sunday Mass!!!!

Gus:
I'm glad you enjoyed the mass in Mexican style, here in Puebla there's no reason to skip mass since there are 72 churches just in the old city. I don't currently work near the old downtown but it's hard to escape from God's ministers, I have two churches two blocks away from my office. At special ceremonies at the University we have to sing an hymn that begins with "Gaudeamus iguitur juvenus dum sumus ...". Sunday mass at the city's Cathedral is very solemn with latin songs and organ music, I'm sure you'd like it.

Tin:
Thanks a lot for the great advice, I'll think about tools I'd like to purchase, my shop has been idle for a couple months but this site helps to keep my interest in model engineering going ... I owe you large. I'd like to know what's your favorite source for fittings, I mean elbows for steam tubing, valves, water indicators, etc.

Best regards

Take a look at pm research they have raw castings of pipe fittings as well as model pipe. or you can get machined stuff if you like.
Tin

Back