Making sodium silicate with cat litter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humph7ey

Reaction score
I want to make SS from cat litter and liquid drain lye. All the recipes seem to use the dry type.
One recipe is thus:

320g lye
800ml water
480g cat litter

How should I compensate for the liquid lye?
It is for making cores when I do cast iron in greensand.

You can buy sodium silicate on ebay very cheaply , why waste your time trying to make it ?

The reason is that I am in France and the cost of shipping due to it being classed as liquid makes it uneconomical.

But surely it must be possible to source it locally?
Here in Sweden you can buy it in any home improvement store. It's used as a cement and concrete sealer.

You should be able to buy sodium silicate as a solid which can be dissolved in water. If all else fails try a chemical supply company.

sodium silicate is the active ingredient in radiator stop leak check your local auto parts store for clear radiator sealer.
Also used in wine making and ceramics so . should be available at some store in france.
Tin

I just made about 3 litres of Sodium Silicate.
1 kg of sodium hydroxide (€12.91 plus €8.00 shipping) From Amazon
1.5 kg Silica gel (cat litter) (€5.00)
2.5 litres of water.

As soon as the sodium hydroxide was mixed with the water I added the silica gel in it's out of the bag state. When the dissolving slowed down, I heated the container till it all dissolved. Now it has all cooled down the solution has a nice thickness and forms a thin skin on top like chicken stock.
I will be trying it out tomorrow in some fine quartz sand I got from the builders merchants. I understand it is used for swimming pool filters and sandblasting.

Just wondering why you didnt go for the sodium silicate powder. One kilo of powder cost roughly half what you paid for in sodium hydroxide ?

Here in Slovakia liquid Sodium Silicate / waterglass / 1 Liter
cost 1.50 Euro .We use it mainly for fixing cracked fireplaces.

Today I found that the cooled product is very thick - almost like honey or golden syrup. It seems too thick to use on sand.

Try foundry supplies
Use for making cores

Dave

Hello Goldstar,
Not only the english used it for sealing eggs, we german too! I remember my grandma did it till the late 50´!

Hello Goldstar,
Not only the English used it for sealing eggs, we Germans too! I remember my grandma did it till the late 50´!

I'm in the grandpa category( b.1930) and whilst I recall things well enough, I have problems getting supplies of what could be called 'raw materials' like waterglas which has far more uses than eggs.

Give 'grandma' my best wishes!

Norman

Back