Making small winches ,,metal ideas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMSK1

Reaction score
Been here just reading and getting good ideas ,,Have a question ,,I build winches for RC rock crawlers ,,I use a modified servo for my power/gear drive so no problem there ,,Some are just direct drive ,,The spool is .840 long x .600 where the line runs in the center of the spool is .359...It holds 10' of 200lb line,,,,
I make a free spool winch kit it involves use a Janco Rotary broach tool holder drilling a square hole ,,, I use a 5/16 main shaft machined to lock into a gear that power's the winch [12L14],,it machines great ,,The broach tool is 1/8th x .500 [special made] ,,Pete said it wont work but have built 50 or so of them ,,
So now that's out of the way ,,spool aluminum 6065 t6 ,,The pin I use to lock or disengage the spool is my main concern iam using some key stock. I buy at NAPA auto parts ,,probably 303 stainless but not sure ,,its 1/8th x 12" Would it be better to use 1/8th aluminum solid square stock for my release pin ,to save wear on the spool ,,
The winch will lift 56 lbs Thank you for your ideas and help ,,Robert

new k2 f.JPG

new k2.JPG

new k2 freespool side.JPG

General engineering practice make larger more difficult to machine difficult to replace parts durable small easy to machine parts, wear parts.

tin

Nice pics

I have to ash though will it make a difference? That is will it be used enough to wear out? Something tells me you don't need to worry about it.

I am thinking about building a small traveling crane and winch to move the tables and vices on my mill. It would need to lift about 100lbs.
Mosey

I am thinking about building a small traveling crane and winch to move the tables and vices on my mill. It would need to lift about 100lbs.
Mosey

You might consider a 2 part line with a high powered servo motor ,,Robert

I designed and built 5 ton overhead cranes and Jib Cranes for the air compressor assembly plant and shot blasting shop to tranfer air receivers to paint shop. Cranes were tested and certified by certified crane testing engineers annually.
When designing the beams, please ensure deflection does not exceed 1/300 of beam length.
Buy quality hoist. If you are do DIY hoist/winch please make sure load does drop when de-energising hoist motor. A good auto brake is important. Before commissioning,please conduct a load/deflection test to confirm safe load. Cables and chains must be rated. No M.I.C. cables or chains. When accidents happened,the hospital fees equals many times the DIY cost.

Good Luck and take care.

I agree with Gus. You can get a 400 pound capacity hoist from Harbor Fright for about $100. I know you can get winches for less, but like Gus said there is a difference between a hoist and a winch, and that's the brake.

Don

slight difference between a winch on a small RC vehicle and a 5 ton crane though isnt there?

Yes there is ,,The controller used for my winches has a drag brake and will hold about 3/4 of the max weight ,,I don't see using my winch on anything heavier than 65 lbs ,,But it doesn't need AC for power ,,DC ,,, 11.1 volts really gets the winch going ,I normally recommend 8.4 volts ,,,Lipo battery's are small with lots of run time

Latest posts

Back