Making an 11/64" socket wrench

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer

Reaction score
I recently bought some scale 4-40 nuts from American Model Engineering Supply. Only after I started to install them did I realize that NOBODY, except A.M.E.S., sells an 11/64 socket wrench. Theirs is quite reasonably priced, 3 or 4 dollars, but where is the glory in buying it. I decided to make my own from a piece of 1/4" diameter drill rod. It works, although I think I can make a better Version 2. If I decide to make a V2, I'll see if I can document the process.

IMG_0955.JPG

You might try a 1/4" Socket Head Cap Screw. According to my chart it should measure 3/16" across the flats. You can thread on a turned handle or a file handle, and instant socket wrench.

HPME said:
You might try a 1/4" Socket Head Cap Screw. According to my chart it should measure 3/16" across the flats. You can thread on a turned handle or a file handle, and instant socket wrench.

that is the most simple solution ever :eek: brilliant just spectacularly brilliant

Mainer, nice job. Did you use 1/32 end mill for the corners and edges?

A metric screw with 4.5mm socket would be better fit then a 3/16" socket.

For the corners I used a 1/16" end mill --- the smallest I had. For Version 2 I'm going to try drilling #60 holes in the corners, taking out the center with a #15 drill, and finishing off the flats with a 3/32" end mill.

It's not hardened -- I don't see the need for it.

I've done the socket head screw into socket wrench conversion a couple of times and thought about it this time, but I couldn't find any metric screws with 4.5mm sockets. Dos anybody know of any?

Back