Making a Simple Ceramic Burner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I have written to Keith as I disagree with some of his details within the "training videos": Ceramic plaque manufacturers state the operating temperature of the ceramic to be between 1000 and 1200 degrees C - with failure at/over 1300degrees C. I.E. Red to orange - but not yellow to white heat. Keith proposes to keep the burners "black". This is contrary to the various designs of "radiant" heaters. Also, his flames have a balloon of CO burning above the burner - which suggests that the CO combustion is too cold and insufficient air available so is burning in the free air above the burner. This combustion will develop free CO into the atmosphere as the boundary layer of flame is cooling to the point where the CO combustion stops (around 330 degrees C.?). Ceramic burners are designed to keep the temperature of combustion much higher so all the CO is burnt very close to the surface of the plaque - hence they call them "clean burners". In modern countries there are laws that the manufacturers must adhere to in order to sell their products which includes "no free CO". Keith does demonstrate how the incorrect jet will cause these problems - if he used a no 8 jet instead ofa no 12 jet in one burner he would have a better burner. Sorry to spout, this is something that has upset me. Keith is doing a good job - but the inaccuracies spoil his training videos. - Partly the reason I am on a crusade to get a meaningful design basis that all the amateurs can use to make good burners.

Back