Making a model Cannon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I'm sure it was but here is one way. With a slightly different carriage but it shows their ingenuity. Clever how they got the wheels off I think.
20210729_165932.jpg

20210729_165951.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I like the idea of the golf ball cannon. A little out of scope here, but I think a bowling ball cannon would be awesome. Maybe someday…
I remember seeing a YouTube (? or similar) video a few years ago where someone made a bowling ball cannon out of a decommissioned gas cylinder of the sort used for argon, CO2, etc. They had it set up somewhat like a mortar, and launched a few bowling balls.

Obviously one would want to be absolutely certain of what is downrange. I don't know what the range was in the video, but as I recall it was considerable - half a mile? A mile? The few times I have done some target shooting with a rifle, there was a an earthen berm (e.g., hillside) to keep the projectiles from traveling their full range; not sure if one could arrange that with a cannon, especially not one that is designed to be more of a mortar.

On edit: there are a BUNCH of videos out there on bowling ball cannons ... and you probably already knew that. Sorry for stating the obvious! But just in case anyone has not thought it all the way through, here is one video that might be worth watching - damage and a horse killed half-a-mile away:

Last edited:
Hello Friends,
I have made a few modifications to my model. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy. :)

Thanks.
Pramod S. Agrawal.

Attachments

• Completed 1.jpg
    Completed 1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 293
  • Completed 2.jpg
    Completed 2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Completed 3.jpg
    Completed 3.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Completed 4.jpg
    Completed 4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Completed 5.jpg
    Completed 5.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Completed 6.jpg
    Completed 6.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 290
  • Completed 7.jpg
    Completed 7.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Completed 8.jpg
    Completed 8.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 299
Looks great for office.
If the meeting on engines goes bad it handy having a Canon on desk for fast corrections..

Dave

Hello Friends,
I have made a few modifications to my model. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy. :)

Thanks.
Pramod S. Agrawal.

One first machine project's was watching my father and brother make Canon.

Ok my father and brothers got more than I did on that day.
But in few years I was machining engine parts.

The my father and mother said made all parts for motorcycle they would buy wheels.
I finished the project.

It gave me great views what took a engine.

FYI my father and mother was terrified I completely my part.. they purchased wheels from Honda and payed.

Dave

Ha ha ha. True.....

One first machine project's was watching my father and brother make Canon.

Ok my father and brothers got more than I did on that day.
But in few years I was machining engine parts.

The my father and mother said made all parts for motorcycle they would buy wheels.
I finished the project.

It gave me great views what took a engine.

FYI my father and mother was terrified I completely my part.. they purchased wheels from Honda and payed.

Dave

GREAT!!!!!

Somniosus, I really like the 1:5 Lyle Gun. I have a small pile of brass I'd like so cast and recently started daydreaming about making one of my own, half scale would be just about perfect for a golfball, but smaller would be better for a desk. Would you be able to share the Lyle dimensions you collected?

Somniosus, I really like the 1:5 Lyle Gun. I have a small pile of brass I'd like so cast and recently started daydreaming about making one of my own, half scale would be just about perfect for a golfball, but smaller would be better for a desk. Would you be able to share the Lyle dimensions you collected?
Our car group travels back roads. One of our favorite places is a cannon guy he has fired his big 3 or 5” for us several times. It’s always a fun blastLOL HE DIT IT LAST FAL TO BLOW THE REMAINING LEAFS OFF HIS TREES SO HE SAID. That it did the smoke cloud was huge apparently there are events he goes to as he has quite a large trailer for his cannons. I’ve wanted a small cannon for years. I’m totally wrapped up in this steam thing for now. But good luck on your project. Please post pictures.

A friend gave me a black powder cannon with a one inch bore years ago. I set it up between my house and my shop building. Put some powder in and rammed it tight with a toilet paper wad and no projectile. When I lit the fuse I stood back and there was a BIG Boom followed by the noise of breaking glass as all the windows on one side of my shop and all the windows on two sides of the house were blown out. Live and learn. I gave it to a friend.

Mark T

hi Lyle Project:

I had a lot of fun building this piece. I found the original David Lyle patent drawings online and will try to attach these. There is a great book from South Bend Replicas called David Lyle and His life saving gun that is comprehensive and well illustrated with the original drawings in it. The dimensions are little hard to see in these and you kind of need to mock it up using a photocopy printer as an enlarger to produce plans to scale.
The first 1:5 I made was lathe turned brass bar stock from 3 inch diameter stock with a .75 bore and I milled in to attach the trunnions with silver solder. The second one was a 1:10 with a 32 cal bore and that one I cast in brass using petrobond in a muzzle facing up cope and drag. I have attached the key illustrations from Lyles patent drawings, good luck on this one!

Attachments

• lylegunbarreldimensionsIMG_3713.jpeg
    lylegunbarreldimensionsIMG_3713.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 153
  • lyleimage002-2.jpg
    lyleimage002-2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 137
  • lyleprojectileScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.40.18 AM.jpg
    lyleprojectileScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.40.18 AM.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 112
  • lylequoin.jpg
    lylequoin.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 143
  • lylecarriageScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.39.46 AM.jpg
    lylecarriageScreen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.39.46 AM.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 110
  • lylecarriage.jpg
    lylecarriage.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 135
A friend gave me a black powder cannon with a one inch bore years ago. I set it up between my house and my shop building. Put some powder in and rammed it tight with a toilet paper wad and no projectile. When I lit the fuse I stood back and there was a BIG Boom followed by the noise of breaking glass as all the windows on one side of my shop and all the windows on two sides of the house were blown out. Live and learn. I gave it to a friend.

Mark T
That is so funny
I have t tell you eat I did many years ago . I bought a new Winchester model 70 in .300 win magnum. I just had to try it out but the range as. Long ways away. Our shop was 250 feet from the table in the tiny lunch room about the size of picnic table. We had big oak stup across the shop for various pounding. So I set up a piece of 2x6 1/4 wal tubing sss target across the shop i it was middle of the night totally dark but I had a portable spot light on the target. I could see it clearly in the scope. So I loaded a round and sat at the table. Not thinking it was like being in a closet. When I let it rip there was a huge muzzle flash and a shower of sparks by the stump dust was falling from all over the shop but my hearing was gone in an instant it took a whole week to get most of it back. To this day I have a hard time hearing . The bullet went through both sides like it as been drilled and 11” into the stump. So don’t shoot guns or cannons in close quarters .LOL
BYRON

I made this “Mole Cannon” years ago.
Large moles are a problem where I live.
While strictly not a cannon, that’s what i’ve always called it.
Shoots a 12ga. shotgun shell.
It weighs 30lbs & is very effective.
Although I live in the boonies, i always cover it with a large water tank when I activate the warhead.

Attachments

• DF6B3A54-2774-4B09-974F-D3261B778264.jpeg
    DF6B3A54-2774-4B09-974F-D3261B778264.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 183
... I have attached the key illustrations from Lyles patent drawings, good luck on this one!

Thanks, this is perfect. I had started taking notes holding a six sided engineer's scale up to the computer, but the patent drawings are much better. Doesn't look like I would have quite enough metal to put a golf ball in a half scale model, but I don't think I'll go bigger than that. Now I just need to decide if I should machine in the trunnions or try to make them part of one big pour. I will certainly update as things progress.

I saw this big gun at Hurst Castle. It's a 12.5 inch 38 ton on what appears to be a fake carriage. I thought the shell and barrow would make a nice little model so over Chritsmas I made a start. I've also drawn up this 7 inch RML which I hope to start building soon. Obviously I have been keeping a close eye on John's progress over the years.
5FE77EBD-E270-4522-A59F-0543E983947F_1_105_c.jpeg7317AC2C-9CF3-41CF-8DAA-29F3DFAC69A3_1_105_c.jpeg20220103_151950.jpg20210312_212029.jpg

Interesting! At the risk of revealing the extent of my ignorance ... are the brass "buttons" on the side of the shell there to engage rifling in the barrel? And is that an explosive shell?

This is a Palliser shell with a chilled cast iron nose so it's nice and hard for armour piercing. It has a slightly hollow centre that was filled with gunpowder and would detonate on impact. The studs are indeed to engage with the rifling.
Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 16.32.42.png

This is a Palliser shell with a chilled cast iron nose so it's nice and hard for armour piercing. It has a slightly hollow centre that was filled with gunpowder and would detonate on impact. The studs are indeed to engage with the rifling.
View attachment 132644
Remember do not put any gunpowder inside shell or the ATF will talk to you at there office 😉.

Dave

I built a cannon for making noise - A piece of 5/8 bore DOM tubing a foot long. I made a plug for the breach end by taking a piece of 5/8 round about 1" long and welding around it to the end of the tubing. I then rounded off the end and left a small knob. Drilled a small hole for the fuse from the top. Would put 150 grains of powder (same as I use in my black powder rifle) and half a sheet of printer paper packed on top of the powder. Light the fuse and stand back. A nice resounding BOOM! would result.

Back