Making a D1 4 Chuck reciever for a rotary table.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
I have this posted on another board but because I thought some of the members here might be interested in this project I decided to also post it here.

My shop is a mess finally and I have swarf all over the mill and the lathe :D

My goal is to turn this chuck of 5.25 x 2 of aluminum:

IMG00074-20090618-1735.jpg

into something like this that will be mounted to my rotary table:

IMG00071-20090618-1227.jpg

I have wanted to do this for a while now and all the postings that have been going on about rotary table adapters have spurred on my want to do one.

Currently I am at this point.

IMG00090-20090619-1738.jpg

IMG00091-20090619-1900.jpg

Once I get everything sorted out and proper dimensions figured out I will post the complete build with the plans as best as I can come up with them. So far I have had a few minor screw ups but nothing I wasn't able to over come. I won't be back in the shop today anymore because SWMBO has other more pressing things for me to do :(

Tomorrow however is fathers day and I have been notified that it is mine to do as I see fit. :beer:

Cheers all and I will keep you posted as I make progress

Bob

Note edited to modify the title to reflect it is for the rotary table. ::)

Well I had a few hours in the shop today and got 1 pin fitted so I have a few more pics for everyone. I decided I would make a hex head and use a socket to tighten the pins.

IMG00114-20090628-2033.jpg

Here is a shot of the pin inserted into the reciever and turned so that the chuck can be mounted
IMG00115-20090628-2037.jpg

Here is a shot of the pin rotated 90 degrees.
IMG00116-20090628-2038.jpg

Once I get all thee pins finished I will tighten my 5c chuck down and measure the run out. I am a little worried that the 90 degrees will not be enough to lock it and may have to reduce the dia of the pin where the interferance fit is.

I will keep you all posted on my progress as I get time. The logs are now ready to stain but we have 3 days of rain coming so I may get a few hours over the next 3 evenings to work on it a bit more.

Tomorrow is a holiday here in the States and the company I work for gives this off to us. Since it fell on a weekend day they gave us today off. :D

Since it is my birthday and we have a threat of rain I didn't do any staining on the cabin today....instead I made some great progress in the shop on the reciever.

I was having some trouble getting things concentric. After bluing up the register I found that when I tightened up the receiver pins the chuck would be pulled slightly off center and would not let the chuck sit tightly on the face. :bang: Ok...so back to the mill, find center again on open up the holes about .010. PERFECT!!!!.... Before doing this I noticed that my 5C collet chuck was the only chuck that would fit fairly well in the holes. The rest would not drop down low enough because of binding. What I found after checking the bores for the pins on the lathe reciever that they were made for a very sloppy fit. Now I have just slightly over .001 TIR with it mounted in the 4 jaw and when I finally fitted it to the rotary table I have the same results with a .75 dia rod held in the 5C collet chuck. I am more than pleased with this as I was shooting for no more than .003.

Here is the 5C collet chuck mounted to the reciever. It measured .001 + TIR here.
IMG00123-20090703-1413.jpg

Here it is mounted on the rotary table with the same TIR.
IMG00125-20090703-1554-1.jpg

Here are the other D1-4 chucks and face plate mounted on the reciever:

IMG00126-20090703-1617.jpg

IMG00127-20090703-1618.jpg

IMG00128-20090703-1619.jpg

IMG00129-20090703-1624.jpg

Obviously the height will be a problem for some, luckily I still have plenty of room left and now I can mount any size d1-4 chuck to the rotary table.

I still need to make the detents for the pins so that it is easier to locate where the pins are set to remove the chuck, I have been kicking around the design of the pins quit a bit with circlip via skype and I will be cutting a grove all the way around the pins. Spot drill where I want the detent, then use a metal ball and spring with a grub screw to push the ball into the detent.

Crap-O-Cad drawings to follow. :beer:

Just seen this superb log of a build - ingenious and beautiful work. Excellent. Surprised no one else has commented. Never seen anything similar.
A super build.

Klank, thanks....hours of R&D went into this and I am very happy with the results. I was wondering if I would even get a response...Must be a tough crowd to please here nowadays...never use to be this way.

Well thats a shame - new here myself, but your work is impressive.
Very best wishes to you.

Peter

Don't despair,Bob.I think the reason is that not that many home shop machines would have a d1-4 fitting.
I find it interesting all the same.I want to build my own rotary table,so I'm always gathering ideas towards this.
Thanks for showing your method,it's a nice adaptation for your particular problem.
Kind regards.Hans.

deere_x475guy said:
Klank, thanks....hours of R&D went into this and I am very happy with the results. I was wondering if I would even get a response...Must be a tough crowd to please here nowadays...never use to be this way.

I'm blown away by all the examples of creativity here, this build among them. I don't comment on many things (trying to keep the bull#%@ quotient low) because I don't know much of anything, but I still manage to stuff my size 12's in my mouth almost everyday :D
Take this post for example :p

Once again a post with no net gain in knowledge for anyone,
Kermit

Wow thanks everyone, just when this evening I thought maybe this posting was a waist to time and space on the board.

Bentprop you could be onto something there. I hadn't considered that part....:)

Rick thanks,

Kermit we all learn as we go, at least I did. 5 years ago I didn't know what a collet was and now I know that there are way to many kinds of them to even try to keep them all straight!!!.:_)

All,

I have the plans I am giving out to the forum members. Just PM me and I will send you the set. All I ask is that you use them for personal use only.

Glad this made it back in the new posts. This is a great project. I have to add this to my to do list and I think it's going to move right to the top. :bow:

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin

Hi deere_x275guy,

I've only just stumbled across your build thread so am rather late to the party but I like what you have done. I do not have a rotary table or dividing head yet but have been thinking for a while of building one such that I can use my lathe face plate for the table part. So far I have acquired a 60 tooth change wheel for a simple indexer and a chunk of ali stock, your work here has given me some ideas as to how to go about replicating the lathe's D1 4 attachment. Next I'll need to graft that via a shaft and a couple of bearings to a lump of stock bolted to the mill table and I have the makings of a solution.

Many thanks,
Nick

Nick,
Thank you, this adapter can be bolted directly to your mill table.
Good luck with the rotary table build and I am looking forward to watching your build.

All-
It has occurred to me (duh) that it might be useful if I also offer the plans up in metric....when I get home this evening I will see if Alibre will allow me to convert the measurements to metric...I think it does but I haven't tried it yet.

For those of you that pm'd me today for plans I will get them out to you when I get home this evening.

Hi deere_x475guy

I got your plans, very nice, but just a question , how do you center the adapter onto the rotary table?

Owen

Latest posts

Back