Making a ceramic burner,

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little late but here is the burner used on the last flame licker (a Scott) I am half way through building. I have built many dozens ceramic burners for steam engines for many years.

This first one is the main drawing, notice the venturi for speeding up the premixed gas and air. Where the jet goes through the holder it is adjustable back/fwardsto get the gas mix correct.

Scott vacuum engine 18.jpg

These are the bits made to drawings

SCOTT 182.JPG

This is the lot joined by silver (hard) soldering, rather than the suggested Loctite assembly. They are hard soldered as I find much less susceptible to fracture on the joints.

SCOTT 189.JPG

And just to prove it works, here is the video. Instead of a ceramic end, it is using a home made brass rose. I tried both types and came to the conclusion that because the flames are in open air, it would be better this way as the flames can be varied to a much longer length than with a ceramic one. But this method will work perfectly with ceramic.

I hope this helps a little

John

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to see a write-up on that control valve, Jens.

I've always been interested in boiler controls like that one!

Thanks,
Pete

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to see a write-up on that control valve, Jens.

I've always been interested in boiler controls like that one!

Thanks,
Pete

In next time i am write a article about cut-off valve and gas attenuator. And the other important part in the steam model boat: Automatic boiler water level control system.

I am very interested in the effort you put into the boiler water level circuit and would like to build it. However I have very little experience in electronics so I have been doing my homework on google and talking to some folks I work with. I have a couple of questions if you could help me with. I need to know what the resistor current or wattage is. We were guessing 1/4 watt? What are youre capacitor symbols calling out? 100 n? What is the 100 mf 10 volt symbol? The reference to unused IC 556 pins reads 1 and 2 but schematic shows line breaks at 1 and 3. I would like to build this into my boiler water glass as I intend to mount it in a steam launch I'm building. working with electronic circuits is new and interesting to so I look forward to this project. I learned a good bit just looking up your schematic symbols and basic electric already.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back