Making a Boiler for a 3 1/2" Gauge Locomotive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stew,

Make up a bronze fitting for either end, with a goodly amount of strength in it, then silver solder say a piece of 1/8" tube between the two. That should be a lot stronger than actually threading the pipe itself.

See C-o-C.

Or you can come around and root thru what pipe I do have. I think I have some 4mm stainless, but it is only thin wall, also, I think I have some 3/32" thick wall, But you would have to root thru my stocks to find it.

John

blower pipe.jpg

as posted on the other site

fit a solid stay and run the blower feed external ( you can then size it as required without messing with the boiler )

this will save you much grief

Stuart

ps I would not recommend stainless pipe SS into the boiler as a regulator part yes , but part of the boiler construction no

Stuart

Thanks John/Stuart

Well today i took delivery of a solid stay, it didn't break but a I still had difficulty getting the threads to seal I tried ptfe tape but the joints just kept weeping, next try I'll use copper slip to seal the threads as suggested.

But I did get it up to 160 psi a couple of times and it held pressure long enough for me to check out all the soldered joints and they were all good, I'm now going to cut off the spikes and book the boiler in for a test with the inspector.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

100_4388.jpg

Happy Stew

Stew

If your Boiler inspectors are like ours they will tolerate a weep on a fitting as long as the structure is sound , as most weeps will take up when steamed a bit of lime gets in and does the job

well done you will have learned a lot about copper smithing during this build

next thing is set fire to it and do the steam test

Stuart

Thanks John/Stuart

I repeated the test this morning using copper slip to seal the threads it worked great.

100_4389.jpg

I then cut off the spikes and cleaned the boiler up with a brass wire brush.

Then I couldn't resist seeing how it looked between the frames

100_4395.jpg

Starting to look like a proper loco now.

Stew

Stew,

Great job!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

SAM

It's looking great. Congratulations on the pressure test.

Looking forward to more.

Stew,

Absolutely Fantastic boiler. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for your kind comments Guys

Stew

Nice job Stew I'm sure you are pleased with it.

Good to see you are painting as you go. The complete dismantle I'm doing so I can paint mine is slow going. Having to take apart something that was working well is hard. When you've done it three times because something isn't quite right or doesn't work as well as it did, is painful.

Pete

Hi Compspecial thanks for your kind comment I don't know about perfectionist I just try and do my best.

Peter

Sorry about the long wait fro the reply, I've put the loco build away for a bit but I'll be starting again some time in the new year, when I intend to strip it all down give chase and wheel a final paint and put it together correcting all my little mistakes that I know are their as I go and then start on the smoke box and the plate work.

But before that happens I've a bit of shop maintenance work to do and I want to build a stationary engine like this

IMG_0177.jpg

I'm about 1/2 way through the drawing pack and will make a start when the weather gets better.

Then it's going to be a single minded effort on the loco.

Stew

Stew

Had thought it had gone a bit quiet on this thread. I've just noticed that the valve gear is in place so it really is a case of plate work and fittings.

I look forward to the restart at some point

Pete

Stew,
I was about to post you off board to ask "ow's it going?" but I can see that it's going very well. Nicely done.

You don't give this as a reason for setting the project aside but I've found that I need to take an occasional break (sometimes involuntary) from my long-term project and do something else for a while. I find this not only renews my resolve to complete the project but cleanses and clears the mind and makes decisions easier to make and problems easier to solve. I'm about to return to work on my current project (with renewed vigor) after a long involuntary break. I look forward to seeing how you come along on what looks to be a wall engine, or a horizontal mounted in the vertical.

I am also looking forward to the restart on the project
great work as usual Stew :)

cheers Graham

Thanks Graham Harry

Harry as you I find putting a long term project like the loco build to one side helps when you pick it up again, you may not be working on it physically but your mind keeps running over it and I find I make mental lists of thing I want to do and bits of kit and material I need to get round me for the next stage.

I've nearly got the set of plans drawn up for the wall engine, sitting in a nice warm house doing drawing is far better than standing in a cold workshop
smiley_freezing.gif

I'll post the drawing when I've got them done for comments and input from you guys, I'm currently having a good think about drawing up a Governor for it, but can't get my head round how you vary the speed it operates at.

Thanks again

Stew

Latest posts

Back