Make your own motor/generator housing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnay

Reaction score
We are always looking for something for our engines to drive. I wanted to take an existing motor and make it look like a model motor or generator, so I drew and 3d printed some housings for the little D C motor that I wanted to use. I just need to paint it gray.

Attachments

• assembly.jpg
    assembly.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 179
  • motor only - Copy.jpg
    motor only - Copy.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 180
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 182
Here is another one.

Attachments

• gen.jpg
    gen.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 140
  • gen with housings.jpg
    gen with housings.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 142
  • assembled.jpg
    assembled.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 146
Thanks,

But if I had my 3D printers back then I would have followed the same route as you, it would have saved an awful lot of work !

I think they are amazing machines and I would be lost without mine now. Many Model Engine Builders are now using them especially for patternmaking.

You might consider posting your STLs in the downloads section I'm sure folks would appreciate them.

Best Regards Mark

Unfortunately my design will only fit the motors and generator that i built them around. The inside of the shells fit the motor they were designed around exactly.
Mike

I'm curious: What are the motor specs you use as generators? I have a generator body that needs a generator to develop a few volts at less than 200rpm. and overall it is about 2" diameter and 2" long. I fear I must design and wind my own pattern of alternator (maybe 12 or 16 poles?) and use a PM rotor with neodymium magnets....
So I am open to clever suggestions?
The only other generator I have assembled (yet to be fitted with a proper engine) is a pair of bicycle alternators, with a bit of bent tin can for a housing.... It looks er... um... like... a bent tin can... ?! ..??
Maybe I need someone with a 3D printer to make me a nice housing? - The pair of magnet rings rotate around the fixed cores... AKA a bicycle hub. (The twin oscillator shown is just a temporary set-up, the engine doesn't have the power to drive the generator! - This should have an in-line engine - I have a Stuart Sun engine to be fitted....).
K2:
P7312299.JPG

I was just testing the idea to make the housings. The motors and bicycle alternator were chosen at random out of my junk box. Mounted in the housings they will be a lot easier to experiment with.
Mike

Latest posts

Back