Magnifying Visors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.lindsey

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
There have been several comments lately as to needs for magnification when working with smaller models. I happened to notice in the current sale flyer from MSC that the Bausch & Lomb MagnaVisor is on sale for $36.99. (Link below). I got one of these a year os so back and have liked the quality of it and the fact that it comes as a package with 3 interchangeable lenses for 1.8x, 2.2x and 2.6x magnification and can be worn with prescription glasses as well. Plus its a well known name brand. Anyway, it could help with "tiny-itis" or "rocker-itis" and ALL those small parts, 0-80 screws and the like. This may not be of help to the non-USA members dues to shipping, duties, etc. but thought it was worth posting anyway.

http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/C...38424Ppagenumber=30Pjsessionid=Pmode=Pepcode=

Regards,
Bill

Bill,

What is the working range of these? What I mean is how far away can you be from the object for it to be in focus? I have a pair I picked up a while back, but you have to be within 3 inches for them to be infocus, and that is a bit too close for me.

Dale

The link shows the focal distances to be 12", 8", and 6" respectively.

Bill

In the UK, RDG have these on offer ................

Clicky Link

I have no idea how good they are, but they seem remarkable cheap, has anyone tried them?

CC

My wife is a quilter and turned me on to these...Mag-Eyes. They're light, cool to wear, and not too pricey. You can order direct or most larger fabric/craft stores have them.
Dennis

Thanks Bill :)

Got to get one !

Regards, Arnold

I have a pair of the "clip-on to your eyeglasses" style that blackvette pointed to. They're fine if you're going to be doing an extended task that requires magnification (engraving a gun might be an example).

However, for general shop work, I much prefer this style...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00013KQHI...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B00013KQHI

Light plastic construction and they clip securely to my glasses to provide proper stereo magnification. Like the visors, you can "look around" them when you need normal, unmagnified vision and, for extended periods, they flip up out of the way. Much lighter than visors, too.

Thanks Marv
I like the one you suggested - Hmmm... Choices, Choices.
Regards, Arnold

Back