Magnesium computer cases (or ... Good Grief, not HIM again!!!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

Panasonic Toughbook computers are built into magnesium cases. Now, before anyone asks, I don't have one yet so I don't know how they're made nor do I know the alloy. I'll be picking up a few of the older ones (CF-25 & CF-27) and some empty cases sometime this month and I know at least one case that has a computer in it is dented "ever so slightly." The computer's still good but it looks like someone tried to use it as a wheel stop for a tank or some other tracked vehicle. I'd like to remove the dent but haven't a clue how to work with magnesium so don't know where to begin.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Kludge

As far as I know those type of things are cast magnesium and I don't think the dents can be removed without breaking the case. It will probably be found to have hairline cracks in it from the first denting it took.

very brittle stuff,but super strong and lightweight. So ends my reiteration of the obvious,
Kermit

At least some alloys can be machined, sometimes with spectacular incendiary results. Popular with high end automakers in some applications for engine and transmission cases because it is stronger and lighter than aluminum.

Best,

BW

Mag laptop cases are either cast or stamped, with some finish machining In any case it's brittle stuff. Cracks can be filled and shallow dents pressed out, but that's about it.

Okay, so the general trend is that it's probably cast and that Bad Things Will Happen if I mess with it overly much. Once I have it in hand, I'll take a closer look and see how my stock of universal karmic points is going before I try anything. If I don't think I can do anything with it, I'll swap the case half out for a good one and do some autobody magic with the dented one so it's pretty and not worry about it thereafter.

Thanks, guys.

Best regards,

Kludge

Back