Maerial Suppliers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2206

Reaction score
Hi, a question for UK builders, can anyone recommend a UK material supplier for the likes of ally billets, stock bar etc TIA

Hi Paul, I get my ZL12 zinc/aluminium ingots from Artisan Foundry Supplies. I think others use Milton Keynes Metals for bar stock etc. I haven't used them yet, but I think they might sell some metal ingots too.

I use M-machine quite a lot, they will cut the larger sections to whatever length you need, catalogue download towards bottom of page. Only downside is not shopping basket type site so I usually e-mail a list of what I want and they e-mail an invoice back and I phone through the card details. Sometimes better this way as they can work out the best postage on the total weight

http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/
Ringwood are another I use for steel and some aluminium they also have offcuts listed. Often cheaper to buy 3 x 1m length than a couple of 300mm lengths from other suppliers.

https://ringwoodmetal.com/

Hi Paul
In addition to some of the above, I've also used Chronos, EKP Supplies, 1st Choice Metals. Also Southwest Steam for cast iron billets.
Cheers
Andrew

All good suggestions. No one has mentioned Reeves 2000- very fast dispatch. Another good plan is to befriend a CNC shop. The "Multibore" collets modern lathes use cannot grip anything shorter than 2-3" long, so consequently lots of bar ends go straight in the scrap bin. Any jobbing workshop will hold a variety of stock, and all my local ones would always sell me metal if I asked nicely, or put me on to someone they knew would.

-Andrew UK

Try Craigslist and ebay.
If looking for A36 weld shops have pile steel check scrape prices they will always sell at higher than scrape price.

FYI Machine Shops will use all bar stock and will only sell at highest price.

Dave

I always use M Machine as they have the widest selection of metals and plastics usually in Imperial as well as metric sections. As stated above they are always happy to supply in one off lengths, I recently ordered a 1" length of 3" dia stainless and was only charged for the per inch price with no cutting charge.

Back