Made my vise stop today !!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V 45

Reaction score
Here is what I made today for my mill. A vise stop that everyone says is a item needed to produce multiple parts...I liked the idea and made this !! It started as a piece of 3/4" x 12" round carbon steel. Turned each end in 4" to 1/2" diameter. Milled a flat on one side to mount to back of vise. Drilled a couple 3/8" hole for the 3/8" x 16 cap screws and milled a flat for it to sit on. The knuckle for lack of better term is 2" x .900" x .850" since that what it measured after the fly cutting was done. Drilled 1/2" holes for the drill rod extention rod with 1/4" x 20 cap screws for the squeeze with the .060" slit saw. Turned both ends so I can use it on either side of vise. Drilled a hole at the end of the 1/2" drill rod to take the 1/4" x 20 all thread , the adjustment rod and added a flat for a jam nut. Painted the middle section not seeing much action to stop rust. If I would have had a piece of stainless steel I would've used that.

visestopleft.jpg

visestopright.jpg

visestopback.jpg

Well done V45. A very useful tool for accurate repetition work :bow:

Well done V45, that is something I need to make. It is well justified for any application used on the vise.

Don

Good going V45 Thm:

You'll find it's useful even for making a single part that requires position changes or removal from the vise between machining steps (e.g. for de-burring or work on another machine)

Kind regards, Arnold

Very nice! I too will make one like this for my lathe milling setup. Thank you for the stimulus!

I have seen a few of these being made over the past few months.
Every one of them is slightly different.

I like the threaded rod for fine adjustments! Thm:

Andrew

lazylathe said:
Every one of them is slightly different.

LOL, here's mine (though I'm using it as an extra workholding device on this occasion)

IMG_0710.jpg

Marcello

Latest posts

Back