MAde in China Three Point Inside Micrometer.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starrett,Mitutoyo cost 4---5 times China Holtest Mike.
Since Arceurotrade UK sells it ,So Gus went in and bought a China set,

20mm-----40mm which has four mikes and two hole gauges. Came packed in
Aluminium Case and foam padding.

Finishing and appearance looks comparable with Mitutoyo.I gave up with Mitutoyo Singapore.Asked for a requote on a single piece Holtest to fit my budget and no response/requote came.

See foto. Will report further on accuracy reading as I machine Webster Engine Cylinder Bore.

Last foto shows China and Mitutoyo. China finishing looks OK.

Last edited:
China three point inside Micrometer is earning its place in my machineshop. For the first time I get to bore
a C.I. cylinder to I.D. size as per print spot on. The Warner 1/2" Boring Bar was good investment,bore I.D.
is parallel that is with no taper. See fotos.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Last edited:
there's a where i work i think there 6-8mm 8-12mm and 12-16mm. there just so nice to use! my boss picked them up from a auction when he found out how much they were i think is he was pretty happy with himself!

what type of tolerance does it measure within?

there's a where i work i think there 6-8mm 8-12mm and 12-16mm. there just so nice to use! my boss picked them up from a auction when he found out how much they were i think is he was pretty happy with himself!

what type of tolerance does it measure within?

Hi Chris,

From the ex-factory inspection report.

6--12mm Resolution 0.001mm Measuring error 0.004mm/0.0002"
You may need a 12mm ring gage to check zero in mike before using it.
My set have ring gages to zero in .

For hobby machinist this inside mike is good enough to check cylinder bores.
Used the 20--25mm mike to measure the 0.75" cylinder and came to 0.000.
My Digital vernier caliper gave me inconsistent reading.

My next build would Brian's Hit & Miss engine. The China Holtest Inside Mike
will help zero in cylinder bore. Together with Warner Boring Bar,will get a good straight smooth cylinder bore.

Three Mitutoyo tri-mikes from last weeks broken tool reports. Approx. $2400 worth of replacement parts will be required for the three mikes. The most common mistake is a machinist leaving the mike in a part and starting the machine. Seems that when the machinist do not suffer any negative consequence for such bone headed moves, they make lots of mistakes that generate broken measuring equipment. "Oh well, the company will just buy a new one" seems to be the current attitude.

:(

Tri-mic-1.jpg

Tri-mic-2.jpg

Tri-mic-3.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the business end of these gems. Have never had a chance to work with one before, and at the prices quoted, likely not very soon either. :(

Hi Old&Broken.

I could see the ISO Calibration Sticker on the mike.

Its sad when an instrument gets damage because of carelessness.

Gus too committed Vernier Caliper Suicide. Dropped my Mitutoyo Digital and damaged the horns for inside measurement
two years ago. Sure hated myself for burning S$160/US$128.Made some rules for myself to prevent recurrence.
Also made a point not to buy cheapie China Digitals for cheapy outlets. These mikes/calipers eat batteries.
Did buy a Made in China Starrett Digital from LMS which turned out quite reliable.

I'm the lucky chap who gets to clean and calibrate these mistreated little jewels. Once every six months I calibrate approx 2000 instruments. 4000 calibrations a year. I get sick and tired of seeing a caliper or OD mic that I have cleaned and/or repaired returning to me with metal shavings; dirt; slimy coolant residue and other 'stuff' pasted all over and inside it.

But,

it pays the bills. :wall:

I'm the lucky chap who gets to clean and calibrate these mistreated little jewels. Once every six months I calibrate approx 2000 instruments. 4000 calibrations a year. I get sick and tired of seeing a caliper or OD mic that I have cleaned and/or repaired returning to me with metal shavings; dirt; slimy coolant residue and other 'stuff' pasted all over and inside it.

But,

it pays the bills. :wall:

Hi Old&Broken,
Worked with Ingersoll-Rand (USA) Singapore for 32 years and Operations Manager for last 10.

When an assembler or machinist or repairman is signed on,he is loaned a set of Proto hand tools and mikes and sign a receipt and committment to guard tools from damage and loss.His job confirmation is dependent on no tool loss for three months.Subsequent Tool replacement cost would be deducted from their pay.
Any other department workmen or sub-contractors or their bosses coming in to borrow hand tools are turned away.
There were rare cases of tools loan loss. Not even Gus can borrow their tools.
Machine tool use by other departments is a ''no no'' after one guy drilled thru
the radial drill table. Tool abuse expose a workman's incompetency.

It would be very difficult to borrow Measuring Instruments from Gus after having seen abuse and incompetencies.Not many are good at handling a Digital Caliper or Outside Mike.

From day one, other than the machinists ,no other unauthorised persons permitted to use the two Leblonde Lathes. Hand/finger/eye injuries are taken
seriously by the Ministry of Labour.

Been fun working with IR.

Hi Old&Broken.

I could see the ISO Calibration Sticker on the mike.

Its sad when an instrument gets damage because of carelessness.

Gus too committed Vernier Caliper Suicide. Dropped my Mitutoyo Digital and damaged the horns for inside measurement
two years ago. Sure hated myself for burning S$160/US$128.Made some rules for myself to prevent recurrence.
Also made a point not to buy cheapie China Digitals for cheapy outlets. These mikes/calipers eat batteries.
Did buy a Made in China Starrett Digital from LMS which turned out quite reliable.

I got myself a one of those Starrett's at Cabin Fever this year so far so good. I have a Mitutoyo that hasn't been bad at all until a couple of digits in the LCD went bad. I have no idea why they went bad which always sucks, will have to see if Mitutoyo will repair them reasonably. As for cheapies, sometimes you need to go places you don't want to take your good tools.

While I'm here in this thread I need to ask everybody; are snap gages worth the investment? Eventually I need to enhance my bore measuring ability and snap gages look like a good way to cover a wide range of bore sizes. Basically we are talking a shoe string budget here.

By snap gauges I assume that you mean telescopic gauges. With practice, they are great. Have used them for years. Users just have to know how to use them correctly.

Paul.

Back