Machinists in demand

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just published today in the local paper.

“The average age of skilled workers employed by McHenry County manufacturers is climbing while the incoming students interested in skilled trade work such as CNC machining is low,” said Zaccagnini, the department co-chair for Applied Technologies. “Some companies are already reporting a shortage of qualified people applying for these types of jobs.”

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/16/...ome-employers-struggle-to-fill-posts/aazqk9v/

G'day all
ive been lurking on this site for a few weeks now this my first post
im almost 22 from aus just finished my apprentice ship
and i agree that theres not many younger apprentices
with a passion for machining and that is part the reason
it turns into slave labour, i have done my apprenticeship mainly
with cnc shop wih a few manual jobs when i get a chance this is how i stumbled across this site i want to improve my manual skills i wish i ha d the chance at work to machine gears etc etc
and i got this thing with steam i cant kick ;D

Don't worry Browny,

If you pick up and put into practice all the tips you can glean from the posts on here, it will be better than any apprenticeship, as you will find you can learn it a lot quicker.

It takes on average about two years from knowing nothing about machining to becoming fairly competent at it, and will stand you in good stead when you are asked to do something by manual means.

This is all because it is something YOU want to do in your own time, rather than someone else wanting you to do it in theirs. You automatically get the internal urge to learn.

Just keep at it and you will get there.

John

.......and i got this thing with steam i cant kick ...."

It's a fatal disease, and there is no cure!...... ;D

Dave

steamer said:
.......and i got this thing with steam i cant kick ...."

It's a fatal disease, and there is no cure!...... ;D

Dave

I hear regular exposure to swarf and smoke box soot ease the symptoms

Bez

A good dose of steam oil and a fresh cuppa from a Windermere kettle are the only cures I know.
Reading through the thread its strange how our lives have been so similar and yet separated by hundreds of miles.
best wishes Frazer

student_Machinist said:
I'm interested! ;D but no one will take me on as an apprentice ??? Nz is a wee bit smaller than most place tho
Forget this^ i just got one ;D

student_Machinist said:
Forget this^ i just got one ;D

Congratulations student_Machinist. Glad to hear that you have found something. Please let us know some of the details when you get a chance. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Well done indeed
Pete

dsquire said:
Congratulations student_Machinist. Glad to hear that you have found something. Please let us know some of the details when you get a chance. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don
Thanks guys, I dont have too many details atm but if your interested this is their website
http://www.rocklabs.com/
Ill be happy to give more details when i get them but I don't even know when Im meant to start atm ::)
Who would have know the poppin engine would be so useful, Im pretty sure thats one of the reasons i got it
kvom said:
Congrats! Now you need to change your nick. ;D
Your absolutly right! Ive been thinking about that for a while now ;D Do you know if its possible and if it is how id go about changing it?

Anyone know what the situation is like here in Australia? I've been thinking of getting a job in the area myself.

Latest posts

Back