Machinists enemy # ONE........

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longboy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
......Your feet! Yep, Longboy knows! (size 13's). You do too! :)...........some time, when you pick up that (insert item here), be it a bushing, hex screw, hex key, bearing, spring, circlip, jewelers loupe, precision screwdriver, Torx bit, thrust washer, eyelet, chuck key, copper tube, socket, brass fitting, acorn nut, diode, e-clip, lathe bit, bit holder, drills, (enough Longboy)........You always clear the edge of the table you work at to "examine" the item either sitting on the stool hunched over or standing up.................where you develop an instant case of " Greasy fumble bobble-itis" :eek: and the part drops to the top of your toes and immediately jets 90 degrees straight forward under the table :redface2: .........I don't even have to go to Ace Hardware at the beginning of my build season anymore for a couple of weeks knowing that I just have to move the table out cuzz theres enough hardware under there to start a new project! Thm:

See "Building Them/Mistakes, Blunders and Boo Boos/Re: Lost part/A Case Study: PILAFBS

just rivet a pair of stainless steel bowls from wally world to the top of your steel toed boots. the parabolic effect will cause the widget to bounce around a bit then land back in the bowl. Just remember to put regular shoes or boots on when going out in public. That is unless you want more long stares than a bikini clad babe walking down main street in the middle of winter.
::) ::) ;D
Tin

http://www.micromark.com/PARTS-CATCHING-APRON,8108.html

82580_R.jpg

Maybe one of these would help?

Guys the picture I posted is what is called a portable isolation chamber and is hermetical sealed. Thinking about it it would be a good way to keep tiny parts from escaping the item has gloves built in similar to a blast cabinet. I am sure the guys here could come up with a home made type of unit maybe with elastic hand holes instead of the gloves it would keep small parts from jumping from the bench and crawling underneath and hiding.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Guys the picture I posted is what is called a portable isolation chamber and is hermetical sealed.
Tin
.............I think the neighbor lady would like to hermeticlay seal my yap when one of my roller bearings wheel away to dark corners previously unknown and I let out one of those, "OH (insert favorite profanity here)! :eek:

Maybe you need to make the neighbor lady a set of brass candle sticks to appease here HMMM
Women apreciate your shop more when they get something they can use out of it, Just a thought.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Guys the picture I posted is what is called a portable isolation chamber and is hermetical sealed. Thinking about it it would be a good way to keep tiny parts from escaping the item has gloves built in similar to a blast cabinet. I am sure the guys here could come up with a home made type of unit maybe with elastic hand holes instead of the gloves it would keep small parts from jumping from the bench and crawling underneath and hiding.
Tin

Wouldn't help; I'd lose a part either loading or unloading the cabinet. ;D

Even worse for the table-edge parts bib... I'd forget it was attached at both ends, lean back, and launch tiny parts across the room. :big:

Longboy said:
.............I think the neighbor lady would like to hermeticlay seal my yap when one of my roller bearings wheel away to dark corners previously unknown and I let out one of those, "OH (insert favorite profanity here)! :eek:
"OH (insert favorite profanity here) Pooh!" :big:

Or you would forget that your tied to the bench and go to get up in a hurry and hang your self. But some of the older watch makers bench had a drawer that pulled out and it had a piece of material that would catch parts when you pulled the drawer up against you. Cliff.

I remember working on small engine carburetors years ago, we would always carefully sweep the floor around our work area first, including under the bench, so that we had some possibility of finding a small part after dropping it.

Russel said:
I remember working on small engine carburetors years ago, we would always carefully sweep the floor around our work area first, including under the bench, so that we had some possibility of finding a small part after dropping it.

I spent a fair part of the summer working on the same carbs and learned to do the same same. Another thing I learned was to lay down a large shop cloth to catch the elusive little buggers. Some did escape but were eventually found.

I think I would avoid the candlestick gift idea LB', that could lead to, well you know.......oh never mind ;D I like that table top tent idea, it would keep flying objects like springs and any other form of airborne pieces from being launched to corners unknown. That apron makes me laugh, all I can think of is that Jabba sitting there looking like Henry the VIII demanding "more food wence! :big: Keeping the floors swept up has become a ritual in my shop and the addition of toe boards on all of the benches also goes a long, long way in keeping the wayward parts in bounds. My shelves on my two tables are well up off the floor surface as well, that facilitates sweeping as well as any retrieval efforts should they become necessary. Sometimes I turn off the lights (don't go there) and use a flashlight flush to the floor to search for pieces. The tiny object of interest will cast a long shadow on the floor and makes locating it much easier than from an elevated position.

BC1
Jim

When I work on small mechanisms I cover the bench top with a white baby blanket. Dropped parts will stay where they land because the blanket is so "lossy" and the light color makes them easy to see. Nothing sacred about the blanket. I'm sure any light-colored, short-nap fabric would work.

I have a problem with small things rolling off the edge of the bench. A lip on the edge of the bench would stop this but I often work with my forearms leaning on the bench edge and I suspect that a lip might get uncomfortable. Someday I think I'll try routing a narrow groove in the top and inserting some of that rubber, cord-like stuff used to hold screening in screen doors. It would be high enough to stop a roll-off and hopefully resilient enough to not be uncomfortable on the forearms.

A lip on the edge of the bench would stop this but I often work with my forearms leaning on the bench edge and I suspect that a lip might get uncomfortable.

Marv, a chunk of 1" half-round would likely do, and wouldn't be all that uncomfortable. I'd be more concerned with the point loading of a piece of bead edge being uncomfortable no matter how rubbery it is. At least with half-round it will act as a "wheel chock" for the escaping items and be broad enough not to irritate.

Alan

Or perhaps a roll of foam weather seal from Home Despot, Lowe's etc. It has a self-stick backing, easy enough to put down and try. Available in several heights and widths.

This isn't a "cure all" but it has saved me a few trips around my shop on my hands and knees. It is a plastic tray used for draining dishes into the sink. At least that is what I have seen it used for. It has a rolled ridge on three sides that will keep small parts from rolling onto the floor. I keep the spill edge facing away towards the back of the work bench. A piece of cloth on the tray keeps parts from bouncing around. Available at any dept store for a couple bucks.

Pan.jpg

i would use carpet tack strip to get rid of the foreman :big: :big:

Latest posts

Back