Machining Acralloy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMSK1

Reaction score
I bought a piece of Acralloy 1/2 DI ..I made a main shaft ,,my problem is I have to turn it down to 5/16'' What a pain ,,then turn 1.325 of the 2'' length down to .150. then turn .775 for mm threaded shaft ,,Want to cut my time form two hours to ????? I did a goggle search but the Acralloy Is hard to find in 5/16 ,,any one have any ideas on a metal simular to it ,,I try ed hot roll but get allot more deflection out of it ,,Thank you Robert

Why did you choose Acralloy ?
The material you have chosen has an induction hardened surface which will make it harder to machine.
You will get on better with almost any grade of cold drawn steel , if the 5/16" is critical use a piece of silver steel ( drill rod ).
It turns easily and can be threaded.

Why did you choose Acralloy ?
The material you have chosen has an induction hardened surface which will make it harder to machine.
You will get on better with almost any grade of cold drawn steel , if the 5/16" is critical use a piece of silver steel ( drill rod ).
It turns easily and can be threaded.

Thank you for your reply ,I have been turning parts for 6years but never steel just aluim..stuff so going to steel ,is a new thing for me ..Robert :eek:

Latest posts

Back