Machining a CDCO Tool Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAM in LA

Reaction score
I am having trouble milling a Quick Change Tool Holder. The material does not want to cut. I’m using a new HSS 4 Flute End Mill running approximately 400 RPM. It was difficult to drill and very difficult to tap. How do I cut this material?

I have attached a PDF with additional information and the requisite photos.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

SAM

View attachment Pivoting Thread Tool Holder.pdf

Have you tried to run a file over it? If you file skips off it and hardly scratches the surface, it could be case or through hardened, if it is case hardened once you get through the first .0200" or .0300" or so it should become a little easier to machine, if is through hardened you'll have grind it or machine it with solid carbide and the only way i can think of to tap the hole would be to EDM it. Good luck. ;)

Hi Sam
woodchip85 is quite right. I have machined this type of material before,
and you need to take a bigger depth of cut to get under the hard skin
prefably with a tungsten carbide tipped tool if you could lay your hands on
one. It can be machined with HSS or carbide tools don't be afraid of taking
a bigger cut, just take your time Good Luck ;)
Ken

I open them up all of the time for a customer, they run an AXA size tool posts on a paper machine, they hold slitting knives, that have 19 mm shanks. I done probably about 25 of them, they have them preset with new sharp knives, and can change them on the fly. I use a 1/2" 4 fl carbide end mill, with an air stream blowing chips out of the way, about 900 rpm, taking about .030" per pass. I done them all using only 2 end mills, one broke, my mistake, the second one is still cutting.

jack

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll need to shop around and see how much a carbide end mill will cost.

If it is to expensive, I'll break out the C-O-C and come up with an alternate design which will allow me to use my existing tools.

Thanks again.

SAM

CDCO has the following 3 mill set for $28.
Would these mills be a good purchase, or should I get something else?
+++++++++++++++
Miniature Indexable End Mills (1/2" Shank)

1/2" Shank
3" Overall length
Each set contains 1 each of 1/2", 9/16" & 5/8" cutter with insert
Use standard TPG22 insert
Comes with inserts installed

Item No. Price
46510 $28.00
+++++++++++++

Thanks

SAM

SAM in LA said:
I am having trouble milling a Quick Change Tool Holder. The material does not want to cut. I’m using a new HSS 4 Flute End Mill running approximately 400 RPM. It was difficult to drill and very difficult to tap. How do I cut this material?
Sam,

Try cutting out most of the area with a fiber cut-off wheel in a disk grinder. Be careful not to overheat it, but that will "break the case" for you leaving less hard material to be removed with your endmill. You can probably break through the case in areas you want to drill & tap with a small wheel on a die grinder. I keep one pedestal grinder set up with a cut-off wheel on one side and a diamond facing wheel on the other for just such tasks.

Back