Maching copper- Will this be a tradgic end to a love story?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
My weekly dumpster diving adventures at the local scrap yard netted an interesting find.

I managed a 20 lb box of good sized aluminum cut offs that included 1-1/2" sq. ,some round disc's ranging from 1-1/2"- to 3", and some short 3/4" and 1'' thick rectangle drops.

Then the owner pointed out a hopper full off clean copper plates and long round drops.

I found a short round (most of the pieces would require a bank loan!) 2-3/4" diameter 11" long.

It was love at first sight! :big:

Will I have a problem with getting a good surface finish?

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or condolences in regards to my impulsive purchase?

-MB

Good luck. Copper machines like Pink Pearl #2 eraser.

My suggestion... Sell the copper as scrap and use the money to buy some tractable metal.

As far as hints... Use whole milk as cutting fluid. Clean up carefully or your shop will smell like an abandoned dairy farm for years to come.

mklotz said:
Good luck. Copper machines like Pink Pearl #2 eraser.

My suggestion... Sell the copper as scrap and use the money to buy some tractable metal.

As far as hints... Use whole milk as cutting fluid. Clean up carefully or your shop will smell like an abandoned dairy farm for years to come.

Some of pieces in the bin had manufacturer labels That said "hard".

I know that copper is not as hard as brass but that label helped to fuel my puchase.

The only copper that I ever machined is the small pulley on my Horizontal Mill currently nominated for POTM. I don't remember having a problem making it but that doesn't mean this big bar will be the same.

Does your post mean that you attempted to machine copper were less than successful?

Or is this based on some mathematical machining formula? PLEASE, understand that I'm not trying to be a smart @$$.

Thanks for your input

Copper can be cut in a home home shop.
As Marv has already stated it is GUMMY to machine.
It takes razor sharp tools with aggressive positive rake
reliefs. Copper also distorts with very little heat.

It's a real PITA to work, but it can be fun to play with.

If the copper is real red it might contain beryllium.
That is some real nasty stuff to handle, let alone machine.

Rick

If said copper pieces (or any alloy for that matter) contains Beryllium, would it not be prudent to wear a particle mask to filter out the fine dust that would be generated in the machining process? I would hate to think of someone possibly having lung cancer develop due to a simple oversight.

Jim B.

rake60 said:
Copper can be cut in a home home shop.
As Marv has already stated it is GUMMY to machine.
It takes razor sharp tools with aggressive positive rake
reliefs. Copper also distorts with very little heat.

It's a real PITA to work, but it can be fun to play with.

If the copper is real red it might contain beryllium.
That is some real nasty stuff to handle, let alone machine.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I hope its not more 'Gummy' than some strange alloy aluminum plates I have on hand. I deal with them but I don't like the softness and all the d-burring.

I long time ago I mined some Berilium up in Bancroft, Ontario. My understanding at that time was that it was alloyed with copper to make springs. I still have some of the green hexagonal crystals in my possession, but that's a real long story and not relative to this forum.

l

MB,

back in the 60's - 70's Beryllium Copper was used in the needle gun needles for removing paint etc and not causing sparks in warships.

Now there is a major battle between the sailors and Veterans Affairs over compensation.

Please be very careful it's very nasty stuff. A face mask is a good idea, it's also not a bad idea for cast iron, (stick your finger in your nose and observe the black ring on it after a day machining cast iron).

Ask me how I know ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

stick your finger in your nose and observe the black ring on it after a day machining cast iron

I've learned a lot of great tricks on this forum but this is unquestionably the most entertaining one yet!

No, honey, I haven't been sucking up brews in the pub all day. I've been machining in the shop. Here, I can prove it. Look! See, black ring! You don't get that from breathing beer fumes.

Copper doesn't cut---it smears. Horrible stuff to machine. I burned the motor out of my mill while trying to surface it with a 1" dia. end mill.

So. You stick your finger in your nose a lot do you? :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

bearcar1 said:
So. You stick your finger in your nose a lot do you? :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Only when I'm, (Not), Thinking. :eek: :eek:

And please don't let my nose hi-jack the thread.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
MB,

back in the 60's - 70's Beryllium Copper was used in the needle gun needles for removing paint etc and not causing sparks in warships.

Now there is a major battle between the sailors and Veterans Affairs over compensation.

Please be very careful it's very nasty stuff. A face mask is a good idea, it's also not a bad idea for cast iron, (stick your finger in your nose and observe the black ring on it after a day machining cast iron).

Ask me how I know ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Now that's funny! :big: I can't stop laughing! :bow:

When I came up from the shop "Honey" said, "ARE YOU MINING COAL DOWN THERE?"

Seems this black stuff spreads like a bad rumor!

-MB

bearcar1 said:

Damn, stole my line .... LOL :D

Ok, Ok, gotta get it outta my system .... Why do gorillas have big nostrils ? Cause they have big fingers (or is it the other way around ??) .... ba-da-dum, crash,

I'll be here all nite, thank you very much !!! :p ;D

Try using the coarser toothed "wood" files. Then finish with old fashioned sand paper. I've made replacement parts for an old Knife switch.

Not TWO knife switches ;D

Back