Machinable wax

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johns idea of plasticized way is probably a good way to go .
between the outlay for wax and time spend blending and getting wax to a real shape the commercial stuff may be a bargain. but I am learning it is all good.
Tin

Hi Tin

Not sure if you are still playing with this. Like to know how things have turned out?

I have used ABS pipe in the past for wax molds, just put a cap on one end. You can usually buys 3' lengths at the hardware store cheap. Pull the cap off after it cools and you can push out the wax.
I have found putting it into the fridge right after pouring it gives a smoother finish on the sides.

John

John:
Yest still playing with it ,sort of still trying to learn the cnc thing and the best way of learning it.
you say ABS pipe.
Here in the states most home water pipe is pvc . and comes in 3" lengths at the home improvement stores,
I do want to mold some rod pieces. thanks for the info.
Tin

I am a goldsmith, and we have been using wax for casting for a long time ;D. The wax is not that expensive, if you think that you can find different quality, brittle, flexible that it is easy to repair and is prepared for a full burnout without ashes that can destroy a casting, there are multiple shapes already prepared that can you save a lot of time.
Another option that I am using is to design CAD models and send the file to be prototyped, you will have in three or four days your complex wax milled to 0,02 mm and ready to be casted, I am using Rhinoceros for that.
I am not sure if it is correct to say brands or use links here, but if someone is interested send me a PM.

Henry:
Thanks for your input .
in retrospect I probably would have been better off buying some assorted shapes would have saved time and money . but now have probably a lifetime supply of wax.
as for sending out to be machined the purpose of the wax was to learn how to use MY cnc with minimal risk of tool wear and damage from mistakes. Guess you could say more focused on the journey than the destination.

As far as brands and links usually not a problem as long as you are posting as a happy customer. I have mentioned brands and retailers I am happy with many times. and have posted links to there sites. Now if it is a brand or site you own and are doing it for personal gain that is advertising an against forum policy.
When you get a chance Please post an introduction in the welcome sub fora tell us a bit about yourself ,your home shop, your interest in model engines and your location .
Thank you for your interest in this forum.
Tin

I wanted to take the time to commend Tin for his efforts in making this post. My name is Wes, and I work for one of the companies linked in the op. I harbor no angst what so ever for leading people on a path to making their own home blends of the stuff we sell. I am a big DIYer myself. Google, and Youtube have saved my behind plenty of times for stuff I would other wise be too overwhelmed to attempt. Someone mentioned, the end cost may, or may not be worth it for this application. I think your response; "Guess you could say more focused on the journey than the destination." holds true to many projects I take one myself. I admire that. Plus, you can melt it down, and reuse what you have for the rest of your home CNC life span.

One thing I wanted to add to this is that the Titanium dioxide, and possibly other plastic materials people may add will yield a poor burnout for people using this for casting. There are dyes that can be added instead to make it easier to see the contours of what has been cut that will also have a very small ash content. I don't want to promote any particular source, but just note that I said dye, and not pigment. TiO2 is a pigment. For anyone using this home blend wax in the manor Tin has, this in not an issue. I just wanted to throw that warning out there in case anyone tried to use it for casting.

Any updates on how this has been working out for you since the last post Tin?

As a side note, this site has peaked my interest in dusting off my old RC cars, and trucks. With the snow already here in Norther Michigan, I just may have time to do that this season!

Any updates on how this has been working out for you since the last post Tin?
Have Not done much with the wax or the cnc mill. Have been distracted by Life , work and the 3d printer. I do poke my head in hear on a regular basis ad keep an eye on things.

One thing I wanted to add to this is that the Titanium dioxide, and possibly other plastic materials people may add will yield a poor burnout
good point I was not very happy with the TiO2. tends to settle to the bottom of the mold not consistent. Can not see where it adds to the mix . Makes it sort of whiter but not really would likely be happier with a nice gold color.
Casting of some sort will likely happen and investment casting not out of the running. either with wax or 3d printed PLA pattern.
Tin

Casting of some sort will likely happen and investment casting not out of the running. either with wax or 3d printed PLA pattern.
Tin

Just proving the concept for the first time yesterday, but wax can be printed too.

Printed wax clip (4).jpg

Machinable wax, Im curious how and what you used for the wax to print it. I do alot of lost pla casting and would love to have a printable wax filament.

Machinable wax, Im curious how and what you used for the wax to print it. I do alot of lost pla casting and would love to have a printable wax filament.

Are you by chance the gentleman that has the video with the Yoda head key chains casting with a tree technique?

What is pictured above is a blend similar to what we sell for our machinable wax blends. I can't say exactly what it is, other than a synthetic wax. The burnout would be drastically better than PLA. Ash content estimate of about 0.005%.

Yes, thats me, that video is pretty outdated compaired to what i do now. I want some of this wax!!!! Whats the lowest resolution you can print it at? I typically print at 80 microns, but sometimes will do 50 microns.

Great find Tin, maybe something like this will keep me from having to buy a new printer.
Question is, what does it print like, and whats the thermal expansion like?

We are still testing. Previously with just small 1-2 foot strands. We made a spool to trial later today. I am excited to see how it does with larger prints.

The small clip that was first printed was a 150 micron resolution. At least the setting on the printer was. The wax extrudes at a slightly smaller diameter than the ABS/PLA does, so that is probably not accurate.

I stumbled on the MOLDLAY yesterday too. I am skeptical on how much it is actually a wax given the temperatures stated. Most parafins don't like to see 270*F, let alone 270*C just to liquify! I didn't see a stated diameter, but from the picture I am guessing it is for the 3mm filament printers which will also limit the resolution capabilities. From their video, it seemed the burnout is not as clean as we hope to achieve with our version. Still looked to be an improvement over PLA though.

Well to throw all the mumbo jumbo aside, I need something that can be printed at 100 microns or less with a much lower thermal expansion than pla. I can get great results with the lost pla casting, but when it comes to certain things (like small blind holes) lost pla just isnt cutting it because of the thermal expansion. Even a loss in z resolution would be acceptable if it meant being able to get more lost wax like results....

Some minor progress from yesterday. Had a go at the STL of the recent NASA wrench scaled down to about 30mm. I am going to try it again today with a finer resolution, and larger scale.

wax string spool.jpg

nasa wrench.jpg

nasa wrench (2).jpg

Latest posts

Back