Mach3- 4th axle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgjorge

Reaction score
Hello,

could anyone tell me how to generate G-code for the 4th axle in Mach3? What I would like to do is to turn an item (like on lathe) which is fastened horizontally into the round table. I am using SheetCam TNG for milling, but there is no way to generate code for the 4th axle.

Jorge

going to be a bit hard if you want to do continuous 4 axis machining, but if you just need to step the 4th then you can just add the code in at the appropriate place.

e.g G01 Xwhat ever drill a hole
G00 get the Z out the way
G00 A turn 90
G01 X drill another hole
G00 get the Z out the way
G00 A turn 180
etc
etc

hope that made sense.

Thank you for your reply and the proposal. The applications, I have in mind, are to mill slots into a cylinder and to engrave text into a cylinder. The cylinder is fastened in a round table parallel to x-axle. I thought, there is software or a macro existing to support this kind of works.

Hello,

could anyone tell me how to generate G-code for the 4th axle in Mach3? What I would like to do is to turn an item (like on lathe) which is fastened horizontally into the round table. I am using SheetCam TNG for milling, but there is no way to generate code for the 4th axle.

Jorge

There is a solution for rotary cutting with Sheetcam but it might not give you lathe capability. You need to unwrap the design so it is a flat image the same length as the circumference. There is software that will do that. Then you just reconfigure your system so the travel distance is based on the circumference per revolution.

If you just want continuous turning on the 4th axis, you could consider plugging your 4th axis into an Arduino and use my controller sketch which supports Continuous turning.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=25091

Thank you for your reply and the proposal. The applications, I have in mind, are to mill slots into a cylinder and to engrave text into a cylinder. The cylinder is fastened in a round table parallel to x-axle. I thought, there is software or a macro existing to support this kind of works.

in that case you could do it by plugging you A axis stepper in to your Y axis controller. then write the g code as if your part was flat. you would need to work out the circumference of your part, then change you step unit for the 4th axis. to match. bit of a pain in the bum to do thi but it should get you going till you find a better way.

Latest posts

Back