mach 4?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I haven't looked into the code, I would think adding a DRO to a screenset shouldn't be rocket science, as much of the stuff from the other axes could be copied. Of course, you'd need to resize or move whatever is in the screen real estate that DRO#5 would be using. The main element below the existing DROs is the GCode/MDI window, which could be resized to make room.

I might be all wrong on this.

your right on all accounts. it is easy ish but as you say you have to move things around. problem is most of the screens are one big .jpeg or bmp. with holes in them to put dro's etc in them. so no room to put extra in.

been looking at M4 for most of the day, sorting out win10 64bit now going through M4 ESS compatibility.

i've got to finish some other stuff off in the shed, starting the 4 axis build in a week or so. should be long enough to sort out what im going to do software wise.

your right on all accounts. it is easy ish but as you say you have to move things around. problem is most of the screens are one big .jpeg or bmp. with holes in them to put dro's etc in them. so no room to put extra in.

No, not in Mach4. that was true in Mach3, but in Mach4 you have such improved screen elements there is really no need to use big bit maps. Some things like the probing cycles have bit maps, but they are not the entire screen.

Adding a new DRO is very simple- add the element, place it where you want it- this may involve moving other stuff, and that can get tedious. Each DRO will have a drop down list with all the possible choices in straight text- none of that mess like in mach3 where you had to know the number of an OEM code.

had a play with mach4 screen edit the other night. i tried to add another dro to the 4axis screen. in the end got 6axis up and running. closed it all down the discovered the mach3 6axis icon on me desktop:wall:

one thing i haven't workout how to (ok haven't really looked into it) but on mach 3 you can drive axis around with the arrow keys and page up/down for Z. cant seem to do this with mach 4, arrow keys just selects the next tab. i checked the hot keys and its says the arrow keys are set to move the axis.

Got to agree with Ron here that the world has moved on.
We had issues looking for a system that would thread on a lathe.
Mach 3 is dead in the water as it can only use the index pulse and none of the add on controllers like CS Labs, although they can read an encoder thread correctly.

Mach 4 although it can thread needs an external board and it's not been until recently that Pokeys and PMDX have brought a working board out.

However taking lathe and doing a costing exercise.
You need a computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, windows license, Mach license and an external breakout card and in some cases a spindle card as well.

I reckon all this lot, which you have to build yourself, no plug and play and you are then dealing with at least 2 or 3 companies will set you back in UK pounds about £690 - £700 pounds.

However you can now buy and have been able to for a while 2 to 5 axis stand alone controllers from China that don't need a computer, licenses, monitor and are all self contained and plug and play. The lathe one can even run an 8 position tool changer .

This one cost £400 landed and duty paid and is a dead ringer for a Fanuc21.

It comes with about 9 plugs on the back and they supply 9 cables to fit with plenty of length and all clearly marked in English. All you have to do is connect to drivers, limit switches, VFD, encoder etc and supply mains and you are good to go

As Ron says the world has moved on.

In November I converted 17 obsolete training machines for a college down in Oxford. They were adamant that they did not want computers and all the associated bumph and it was only the fact that these were industry standard, more so than any PC based controller and stand alone that we got the job.

Do you have a manufactures name to share with us? I spent a bit of time on Alibaba and frankly there seems to be an endless number of manufactures. Having zero experience with these manufactures it would be nice to get third party opinions of specific manufactures.

I still find the China experience frustrating. After hours of online searching i only found one manufacture with online manuals. Sadly the experience on Albaba isn't exactly something that leaves you with a good feeling.

Newkye was the company that we bought from, OK to deal with, very prompt and if you want any manuals first to make a decision they will post you an English PDF file.

I have had absolutely zero problems dealing with Aliexpress. One thing with Aliexpress is they hold your money in escrow until you tell them you are satisfied and only then do they pay the company concerned.

However with Newkye we now deal direct as it's cheaper and they know us.

been looking into Mach4 and ESS. from what i can tell, the only thing that will effect me using an ESS and M4 is the anti backlash.
at the mo my mill has about 0.03mm (0.0011)of backlash. as someone pointed out "no point trying to get rid of it as you probably have way more in head deflection"

for the time being i will stick with the ESS until i run in to problems. then if need be go for the PMDX416 etc that Ron suggested in his post.
need to finish off (well start) the 4th/5th axis build first. will get the 4th up and running first. then change the PC over to 64bit, get mach4 going, start using fusion 360 in anger and see what happens.

to the 4th 5th axis build.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=26618

Newkye was the company that we bought from, OK to deal with, very prompt and if you want any manuals first to make a decision they will post you an English PDF file.

I have had absolutely zero problems dealing with Aliexpress. One thing with Aliexpress is they hold your money in escrow until you tell them you are satisfied and only then do they pay the company concerned.

However with Newkye we now deal direct as it's cheaper and they know us.

Thanks John;

As I said it seemed like there where 100's of manufactures, at least this way I have a users viewpoint to go on.

I have install a New controller on my mill and added a 4th & 5th axis,now I'm trying to figure out all the settings.

Does anyone have a dummies guide to setting the correct parameters for setting the stepper motors and limit switches.

I have put in some values for the steppers but something if off. The table measure about 0.5 mm out over 20 mm on all axis.

Drivers - Leadshine EM806 microstepping - 1600 step/ revolution
Leadscrew - 5 mm
Controller - NEW1000MDb

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Paul

IMAG0153.jpg

not loaded up Mach4 yet, but have been looking on the net for hints and tips. there 3 vids below should be some help.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIE0k6mu2yc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8itueAd3E[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-B1-SaZ_0[/ame]

I suspect you'll need to modify the "counts per unit" field in the motor configuration to get the proper travel.

Back