"M" Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
I ordered plans from Tiny Power today for a boiler for my future engine builds.

Blueprints for a horizontal water-tube boiler designed in the 1940s or 50s by Charles Arnold to accompany the "M" engine. With a working pressure up to 150 PSI, it is 21" wide, 26" long and 24" high. Drawings include superheater and feed heater coils, and the boiler can be built either with or without these.

The boiler provides 30 sq. ft. of heating surface, not including the superheater or feed heater. All-welded steel construction.

Matt

boiler_m2.jpg

This is the basic design, but there is 12 total up flow elements, 6 on each side

8400464768_9ab2210d59_z.jpg

8399374719_5496cf7fc6_z.jpg

8399373357_d557f15a75_z.jpg

Matt

Looks like your down comers and mud drums are on the small size when you add the rest of the tubes.

OK Will each of those right angle joints have a clean out plug.

Also looks like doing water side cleaning of the up flow tubes is going to be interesting.

I'm looking at doing the down comers in a upside down V shape to eliminate all the right angles. They will go directly from main drum to the mud tubes. The original plans just show clean outs on the end of the mud tubes

Back