LYCOMING VO-435 - Bell 47G-2 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Reaction score
Good morning,

I wanted to ask if any of you can give me information on where to find the detailed design of the Bell 47G-2 helicopter engine, the LYCOMING VO-435.
I would like to try my hand at building this engine on a small scale, and on this base the construction of the scale model of the Bell 47G-2 helicopter.
Any contribution is greatly appreciated.

Happy Sunday everyone.

Ignazio

Might have to see if you can find one that has timed out and use it for measurements. Ask around at aviation shops and see if they might have any old stuff laying around. Or see if any of the home builders around might know of anything laying around.

Good morning,

I wanted to ask if any of you can give me information on where to find the detailed design of the Bell 47G-2 helicopter engine, the LYCOMING VO-435.
I would like to try my hand at building this engine on a small scale, and on this base the construction of the scale model of the Bell 47G-2 helicopter.
Any contribution is greatly appreciated.

Take a lookee see in your area - - - - you might have a shop that does aircraft maintenance in the area - - - they could be a treasure trove of information.

Cercando su Google "LYCOMING VO-435 manual" vengono visualizzati questi risultati. Potresti essere in grado di ottenere alcune viste / viste in sezione decenti da cui realizzare disegni. Forse c'è un modo per prendere in prestito il libro/documento senza acquistarlo, dovresti approfondire a seconda di dove vivi e delle risorse disponibili. Buona fortuna.

https://www.google.com/search?q=LYC...rlz=1C1VDKB_itCA952CA952#imgrc=yHXqsdtfmLZgLM
Ho già scaricato il manuale di revisione e il manuale delle parti, ma niente che mi permettesse di risalire alle dimensioni e ai disegni tecnici. Proverò a inviare un'e-mail al produttore per vedere se possono inviare le informazioni necessarie.
Grazie comunque.

Reactions: Zeb
I think this is what walker said:

I've already downloaded the overhaul manual and the parts manual, but nothing that would allow me to trace back the dimensions and technical drawings. I will try emailing the manufacturer to see if they can send the necessary info.
Thanks anyway.

Ho già scaricato il manuale di revisione e il manuale delle parti, ma niente che mi permettesse di risalire alle dimensioni e ai disegni tecnici. Proverò a inviare un'e-mail al produttore per vedere se possono inviare le informazioni necessarie.
Grazie comunque.
Hi Walker,
I used to maintain a Soloy 47 and have worked on several lycs, geared and non geared.
If you have the heli overhaul manual (for vertical types), you will get insight on critical dimensions. Calling them would be good, but they will likely not share their type design drawings. If you do manage to get dimensions, these will not scale well for an RC engine. You may want to look at solutions others have made in the RC community.
There's some interesting challenges too like the cooling fan and dry sump system. Would be cool to see one close to the original.

Edit* This is a great thread. IC Engine Scaling and Design

Last edited:
I don't have anything on this particular engine, but your message does bring up a memory. I have a full size Lycoming IO-320. When I got that engine, it came with some fascinating blueprints. I should dig them up when I get back home (3 weeks) and see if they were internal prints or just mounting related prints. If they have internals, I wonder if there would be interest in them. Then again, I have to wonder if there are copyright restrictions (?). It would be a shame if there were. And, of course, I'm not even sure if anyone is interested in the 320 line. It is just a basic horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine (essentially an overgrown version of what powered the Volkswagen bug). There are probably models of the engine already...

Hi Walker,
I used to maintain a Soloy 47 and have worked on several lycs, geared and non geared.
If you have the heli overhaul manual (for vertical types), you will get insight on critical dimensions. Calling them would be good, but they will likely not share their type design drawings. If you do manage to get dimensions, these will not scale well for an RC engine. You may want to look at solutions others have made in the RC community.
There's some interesting challenges too like the cooling fan and dry sump system. Would be cool to see one close to the original.

Edit* This is a great thread. IC Engine Scaling and Design
A few years ago, I sent a letter to the Italian headquarters of Augusta-Bell, asking if they would be willing to provide me with the construction drawings of the Bell 47G helicopter. In the letter I described in detail what my intentions were and that is to reproduce a scale model of the helicopter, providing all the appropriate guarantees that it was not for commercial purposes and that I was willing to sign a non-use contract for the project outside of modeling purposes and that I would not have disclosed the documentation without their authorization. Unfortunately I have not received any response, so I am not confident that I will receive a positive response from Lycoming, regarding the VO-435 engine project. If we then consider that this is obsolete technology, with no commercial value, I find it hard to understand the reasons. Our interests as motor enthusiasts are also and above all oriented towards the transfer of our experiences to the younger generations, to ensure that this knowledge and the related professionalism are lost. After all, it is not a personal heritage, but that of humanity.
However I will continue to search, if I find something interesting, it will be my concern to share it with all of you.
bye

If you do manage to get dimensions, these will not scale well for an RC engine. You may want to look at solutions others have made in the RC community.
Good advice IMO. Even if you had a perfect 3D scan to start with, many things are difficult to scale to a (functional) model engine, so you are basically redesigning right from the onset, trying your best to preserve as much of the scale features as possible. I give a lot of credit to those who have accomplished that. Even if features could be dimensionally scaled exactly, they might not function properly once reduced. Seems like ignition & carburation & pumping systems are trickiest issues. But even basic dimensions, I remember being up close to a 1930's radial engine with cast aluminum cylinders & head. The cooling fins ere about .040-.050" in thickness maybe 2" in length. A 1/4 scale engine would have to ~ 0.010" thick x 0.5". That's like feeler gauge dimensions! Casting, 3DP, even machining would be very challenging (at least for me).

Anyways, not to detract you from a great project but here are 'scale-ish' some model engines to look over for ideas. My friend is building a nice Continental from his own castings, I'm trying to get him to post one day.

https://www.engineman.de/product/plan-4-cylinder-boxer-engine/?lang=enhttps://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/exhibit/satra-0-440-4-cylinder-opposed-model-airplane-engine/http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=L-OS36410

Last edited:
Good advice IMO. Even if you had a perfect 3D scan to start with, many things are difficult to scale to a (functional) model engine, so you are basically redesigning right from the onset, trying your best to preserve as much & many of the scale features as possible. I give a lot of credit to those who have accomplished that. Even if features could be dimensionally scaled exactly, they might not function properly once reduced. Seems like ignition & carburation & pumping systems are trickiest issues. But even basic dimensions, I remember being up close to a 1930's radial engine with cast aluminum cylinders & head. The cooling fins ere about .040-.050" in thickness maybe 2" in length. A 1/4 scale engine would have to ~ 0.010" thick x 0.5". That's like feeler gauge dimensions! Casting, 3DP, even machining would be very challenging (at least for me).

Anyways, not to detract you from a great project but here are 'scale-ish' some model engines to look over for ideas. My friend is building a nice Continental from his own castings, I'm trying to get him to post one day.

https://www.engineman.de/product/plan-4-cylinder-boxer-engine/?lang=enhttps://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/exhibit/satra-0-440-4-cylinder-opposed-model-airplane-engine/http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=L-OS36410
Thanks for the advice and for the indications on the boxer engines.

Latest posts

Back