Lufkin 513 Depth Gauge

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonW

Reaction score
:wall:I have a question. I recently purchased a used Lufkin 513 depth gauge. It worked freely but had a little rust on the spindle and sleeve so I dismantled it and cleaned the rust off with some well worn 400 grit water paper and some WD-40 as a lubricant. I tried to re-assemble it and can only turn the sleeve in about a half inch before the thread seizes. I removed the rod and tried again and the same happens. I have flushed out the threads as well as I can see but the problem remains. Obviously something is trapped in the inner threads, I suspect inside the sleeve. Does anyone know if it is possible to further dis-assemble the sleeve and the spindle so that the threads can be exposed and examined. It looks like it is press fitted but I am not sure and have so far been unable to find any information as to how they are assembled. :eek:

If I remember right you need to push in on the spindle as you screw the two together,it was that way on my Lufkin micrometers after taking them apart

Had this problem with my Staretts. Took a pocket knife and chased the threads. Problem solved. Couldn't find a die.

Wash with dish detergent and water.
Use a very soft wood dowel (balsa ideally) of the right size and thread it into the sleeve.
The male thread should be easy to clean.

:p Thanks to purpleknif for the suggestion. I would have done that by now if I could access the male thread. Unfortunately it is covered by the sleeve of the handle (Spindle). I suspect the threaded part is press fitted into the handle but cannot see how to remove it to clean it. Do you know how? If so please let me know.:confused:

:)As to u.p. north's comment that is an excellent suggestion which I will try though as far as I can see there is nothing in the internal thread of the sleeve looking down the barrel at a light at the open end.

If anyone has any other suggestions I will welcome them. Thanks again Gents.

Just screwed two of my Lufkin micrometers apart. Went to put each one together they screwed in a ways and tightened up. Pushed in on the spindle and presto worked on both, I would think it is some sort of way they get the backlash out. Take it for what it is worth, try it if you haven't yet.

Latest posts

Back