Lubrication for Compressed Air Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thayer

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As I pick away at my Elmer's #33, one question that comes to mind is how to lubricate it. The wobblers I have built before are pretty easy to lubricate, but I'm wondering how to take care of a more complex design. All the external stuff is easy enough, but how do I ensure proper lubrication for the d-valve and end of the valve rod where it is supported in the steam chest? Is a little oil on assembly enough? Do I have to crack the steam chest from time to time? How about when running it continuously to break it in? Given that the steam chest is on the side of the cylinder, the valve plate will be vertical and I would think keeping oil on it will be a challenge.

While I may run it on steam from time to time, my expectation is that it will be run primarily on air.

Simple questions, I know, if you have been down that road before. I haven't.

Thanks,

Thayer

I used lubricator designs taken from Tubal Cain's book-----------Simple Model Steam Engines,Book -2. There are also some good designs from " Steam Trains In Your Garden" by Brian Wilson.
Book purchased from Ameng.com.au.

In real life worked on lubricators for heavy double acting air compressors.You could see n count drops per min at the glycerine filled sight glasses.These USA or Europeean lubricators last forever.The Indian ones too.The Chinese ones are just junk.

Last edited:
I have a small inline oiler that is used when using a small pneumatic die grinder, it looks like a dentists drill. The oiler holds a small amount of light oil specially made for air tools and is adjustable for oil flow. While I have not used it when running models, I think that it may be ideal.

Here is a link. http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/A221

Paul.

I use air tool oil. A few drops at the air line connection provides plenty of lubrication for several hours of operation. The air driven impact tool shown below has a piston and valve system that are subject to very harsh operation. A small air powered engine would never be subjected to the forces exerted in that tool.
Pneumatic-tool-oil.jpg

Hi Thayer,

As you are using compressed air rather than steam, the oil can be applied with a simple surgical syringe to the external moving parts with great precision, as for the cylinder it can be applied through the compressed air inlet. If you really want to auto lube the bronze bearings then you have to make a couple of miniature oilers, these are easy to make if a touch fiddly. If you have used ball bearings then these usually do not need lubricating. Elmer himself only providded a small drilled hole for lubrication in most of his designs as these are not considered "working engines" rather show pieces.

Regards,

A.G

I use air tool oil. A few drops at the air line connection provides plenty of lubrication for several hours of operation. The air driven impact tool shown below has a piston and valve system that are subject to very harsh operation. A small air powered engine would never be subjected to the forces exerted in that tool.
Pneumatic-tool-oil.jpg

Hi Zou.

That was very smart and disciplined. A few drop of light lube oil will have the air tool running happily.We had customers bringing in their Ingersoll-Rand air tools such as air drills,grinders,concrete vibrators,impactools etc for warranty claims and F.O.C. repairs.Only to have warranty voided.We found all bone dry with no lube oil!!!Even in the Chinese plant assembling air compressors,no lube was ever put in.Tools start breaking down.When I advised lube oil is a must,everybody thought I was mad!!!!.

A drop of oil in the intake.
if you run on steam you will need a displacement oiler.
Tin

Thanks guys. I hope Santa leaves a little bottle of air tool oil in the stocking!

Thayer

Any light oil will work I use srarret instrument oil . 3 in one will probably work as well. gun oil if you have some, sewing machine oil....
Tin

I just realized that I actually bought some air tool oil along with my brad nailer a while back so I am all set.

The American Popcorn Engine I built use an oil cup with bottom orifice to lubricate. Oil is topped up and capped.
Ball point pen points at oil cap. Oil qty is good for one run.
The piston rod,cross-head shoe,big end and strap be be lubricated prior to running.The bearings are grease packed ball bearings.

IMG_1152.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back