LTD stirling engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, Its really movin!

Very Nice!

You know, the front view in the video, it kinda looks loke one of those hula hula girls I used to have on the dashboard ! :big: :eek: :big: All kidding aside, a supurb model :bow:

Now that vid was worth the wait ;D See you too can get all funky with the grafix! :D

Nice tune too..I think your right, it fits quite well ;D

I like the movement and the way as Bret said 'it looks like one of those hula hula girls' I never had one on my dash, but I've seen them! ;)

Nice job all round David,

Ralph.

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with the end result...Time to put it on the shelf and start the next one....

--
*That's cold by British standards. (Actually, I prefer the serving temperature encountered in British pubs.)

You crack me up Marv :D ;D...BTW do you have real beer over there now? Last time I was in your neck of the woods all a man could find to drink was this kind of amber coloured water which someone had mislabeled "the king of beers"....

David

All our beer from the big breweries is, as the Canadians like to put it, like making love in a canoe - f..king close to water. It's best to pour it directly into the urinal and cut out the middleman.

Happily, here in California, microbreweries, where the beer is actually brewed on the premises, have become very popular and many of them turn out a product that is actually worth drinking. It requires a lot of careful tasting to find the best ones but I'm up to the task.

;D ;D ;D Now that is a lovely piece of work, If i had produced that i wouldn't stop smiling for a week. First class job well done. ;D ;D ;D

keep up the great work

Malcolm

Wow really nice. Beautiful engine and nice video of it. (I even liked the ompah music. It fit somehow.). Was this REALLY your first engine? Big problem for me now, I gotta build one of these types and take it to the coffee shop I frequent and let it run. Yet another project to add to the "list". ::) I hope you don't mind some questions about it:

Are there plans for it? You said the displacer ring is from a spaghetti jar, is it plastic or glass? Is the bottom, displacer ring and top plate just epoxied together? I have some pink foam would that work instead of blue for the displacer piston? Besides getting a loan where is a good place to get the graphite to make the power piston? Never bought graphite before is it expensive? Sorry if this should have been a PM instead of a post.

Thanks in Advance
Brian

Are there plans for it? You said the displacer ring is from a spaghetti jar, is it plastic or glass? Is the bottom, displacer ring and top plate just epoxied together? I have some pink foam would that work instead of blue for the displacer piston? Besides getting a loan where is a good place to get the graphite to make the power piston? Never bought graphite before is it expensive? Sorry if this should have been a PM instead of a post.

Thanks in Advance
Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I don't have any plans for the engine as I sort of just made it up as I went along, the displacer cylinder is plastic, if you go to your local discount kitchenware store you should be able to pick up a polycarbonate jar pretty for next to nothing. Obviously this sets the size for the whole build, mine is 4.5" in diameter.

You can use almost anything for the displacer piston as long as it is light and fairly easy to work with, I used a craft foam substitute I found on eBay, I think it is actually an insulation foam, pink foam sounds "lovely" :D. I machined mine by securing it to the face plate and mounting my dremel with a dremel router bit on the tool post.

As far as graphite is concerned, Bogstandard help me out with mine as I didn't have any idea where to get it from either, I have a little left over that I can let you have if you are stuck.

cheers

David

Here in the States, Enco (and probably MSC also) sell EDM electrodes blanks. They're graphite and can be bought in diameters up to about one inch.

I've built numerous engines using this source for pistons and can confirm that it works well and machines beautifully.

Artist stores also carry graphite pencils (don't get the more common carbon and charcoal) in reasonably large diameters for cheap. Probably not near as pure as EDM graphite, but I bought a couple ~1"x3" rods for a few $ a while back and they worked well.

Thanks for the heads-up on where to get the graphite. I will check out a few art/craft stores and I can't find some cheap chunks I'll look into ordering.

Brian

BrianS said:
Thanks for the heads-up on where to get the graphite. I will check out a few art/craft stores and I can't find some cheap chunks I'll look into ordering.

Brian

Hey Brian... check ebay. I got a huge rod of graphite for really cheap from there. Are you in the states?

Eric

Latest posts

Back