LTD stirling engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twinsquirrel said:
Anyway, the epoxy has gone off now and I can confirm !T LIVES!!! After a little tweaking of the timing I'm getting 200-250rpm from a cup of near boiling water.

Pictures man ;D :D ;)

Well done David, bet you feel warm n' fuzzy all over :eek: .......... heck I'm no expert but that sort if rpm from a cup of tea sounds pretty good to me.

Twinsquirrel said:
Big Grins

........... think I can see the glow in the sky from here

Nice one ;)

CC

Congratulations! Well done!

Now take it out in the sun* and set it on a saucer of ice cubes. It should run in the opposite direction. You may need to cut a piece of flexible matte black plastic to fit the top and lay that on to help with heat absorption.

--------------
* Since you're in the UK, you may be unfamiliar with this term, so I'll explain. Occasionally you may have noticed a big red ball in the sky. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but that red ball emits a lot of heat. This is especially true during your week of summer so try the suggested experiment soon.

mklotz said:
Congratulations! Well done!

Now take it out in the sun* and set it on a saucer of ice cubes. It should run in the opposite direction. You may need to cut a piece of flexible matte black plastic to fit the top and lay that on to help with heat absorption.

--------------
* Since you're in the UK, you may be unfamiliar with this term, so I'll explain. Occasionally you may have noticed a big red ball in the sky. I know you'll find this hard to believe, but that red ball emits a lot of heat. This is especially true during your week of summer so try the suggested experiment soon.

LOL :) Will give that a try although when us Brits experience that phenomena we are very busy putting on our shorts and sandals (with socks), cremating meat products on the bbq and moaning about how hot it is. By the time we have done that the drizzle has usually returned :-X

finished-LTD.jpg

Couldn't resist another picture

Twinsquirrel said:
Couldn't resist another picture

'bout bloody time ;D ............. where's yer' thumb for reference ::)

David, to be serious though ............ that is a very elegant piece of engineering, you should be proud ............ and rightly so :bow:

CC

the good thing about this one is if it don't run (I'm sure it will) at least you have one hell of a good looking piece to put on the shelf ;D

looking for video .................... a.s.a.p. ;)

chuck

A very classy looking engine David, lovely sleek lines, and what a bonus, it runs as well.

Big 'cheesies' all round.

Very well done.

John

David, that looks great, finish and design are both right on imo.

mklotz said:

I just spit soda out of nose laughing so hard!

Job well done! Anxiously awaiting the video of it running. Have you been hanging with Ralph? That is a very cool style.

Eric

I wrote a comment on this last night just after the pic was put up... then the server went nuts and booted me off the site! I lost the comment and a reply to a pm!? something funny going on... and I don't mean ha ha! ???

The basic gist of my comment went something like this....

That's very nice... I do like the retro-futuristic styleee of it :bow: (if that is allowed as a phrase?) I like shiny ;D 8) ;D

I want to see it run!!! I.E. where's the video at? ::) (still in editting?) :D (stick a size ref' in it... like your hand!)

Seriously, I really like the look of it.... Now when I make mine I am really going to have to think about the design!!!

Top stuff David. As they keep saying to me... your raising the bar for your next one!!

Ralph.

(Eric, as far As I know I do not know David....Similar age! I can see that the general British flair is shining through ;D )

Ralph,

I don't think it is 'British flair' at all.

What it is, in the UK we have a much larger percentage of the population interested in model engineering, and we have basically been at it a lot longer in the engine design stakes, and so we tend to show more of what we do. So we have been exposed to it a lot more.

I have seen some fantastic models on well hidden US sites that easily match us for flair and design.

Just wait until this site has sucked in a lot more of our American and Canadian cousins, and they start seeing what we are doing. Then I think, when they get over their shyness, and start to experiment a little more, you will really start to see what they can achieve. It is very early days yet.

I think in time your new crown will be 'stolen' from you.

John

Thanks chaps,

Divided He ad said:
That's very nice... I do like the retro-futuristic styleee of it :bow: (if that is allowed as a phrase?) I like shiny ;D 8) ;D

Ralph.

Interesting way of putting it, kind of sums me up too. There are quite a few bits on it that let it down I think i.e. the small end on the displacer con-rod, well the con-rods in general and I could have done a better job on the polishing.

The video is in the camcorder but unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my firewire cable so I have no way of posting it, will do a quick one on the mobile phone later. I'm no Ralph Spielberg though ::) :eek:

David

Great looking machine.

I am wondering how the power cylinder is attached to the top plate.

Smoggy,

I single point cut an M8 thread (only about 1.5 threads) on the power cylinder and tapped the top plate to match. I would take a pic but it is a threadlocked in now and I dont want to break the seal.

Cheers

David

I was only poking them a little John.... No need to Threaten the crown... I've only had the damn thing for a week!...Not too sure I deserve it.... I polish on a lathe you know!! ::)
The way it looks I won't have it for too long anyway!! many far better engines out there than mine... Wait until Bret puts some sparkles on that single!

David, I think it looks just fine as it is ;) The vid is only a requirement for us 'like to watch bunch'... not a requirement to stay in the class ;D

Spielburg eh!!..... Hardly! I just use the standard windows movie maker... Anyone can do it. It just takes a little time. well could take hours.... depends on how much you try to get it perfected!?!

Looking forward to the vid, No rush I'm not going anywhere... Well not planning to! ;D

Ralph.

k, here it is running, sorry for the poor quality video/audio. video editing is such a frustrating experience!!! I thought the "oompah" music fitting.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JURY8w57Nq8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JURY8w57Nq8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

David

Very nicely, and elegantly, done, David.

Given their penchant for drinking tea, every Englishman should have one.

Take it down to the pub. I did that (well, we call 'em bars here) with mine and ran it off a cold* beer. A number of people crowded around to see what was going on. To the delight of the barman, the sale of beer escalated. I didn't pay for beer for the rest of my stay. :)

--
*That's cold by British standards. (Actually, I prefer the serving temperature encountered in British pubs.)

Latest posts

Back