Low tension ignition system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydavis360

Reaction score
As a novice, I gotta ask. Can a low tension ignition system as used on original hit & misss engines be used on model hit & miss engines. I am referring to a circuit consiting of battery, switch, iron coil inductor, ignition contact and exhast valve actuated circuit saver switch.
Seems to be an easy circuit to buld.

As a novice, I gotta ask. Can a low tension ignition system as used on original hit & misss engines be used on model hit & miss engines. I am referring to a circuit consiting of battery, switch, iron coil inductor, ignition contact and exhast valve actuated circuit saver switch.
Seems to be an easy circuit to buld.

Welcome
sure you can but why not go with electronic?

check this simple circuits from a member
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=20415&highlight=sage

Last edited:
Most models with ignitors use a low tension system. The electronic ones tend to be used for engines with sparkplugs as they are high tension.

You can use a coil out of an old strip light or one made for model use which will be smaller, I have used the L/T coils from Minimag

You could also place a spool on a shaft & use a variable speed drill. No helper...clamp the drill down so it stable...

Latest posts

Back