Lotsa free engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, great. Now I'm up to SEVEN lifetime's worth of projects! ;D

Thanks for the link. Looks like good stuff.

He's included all the plans from the book Elmer's Engines.

That book (if you can actually find a copy) is a WEALTH of information !!

Elmers Engines is available free in electronic format with permission of the copyright holder on the Elmers' Engines yahoogroups. I assume John-Tom got them from there since they're the same scans. It was kinda cool a few months ago when one of Elmer's granddaughters sent an e-mail to the group.

ChooChooMike said:
That book (if you can actually find a copy) is a WEALTH of information !!

Lucky me I have one. Paid $42.00 way back when.

Looks like John-Toms scans are 3rd genration copies. Looks like they came out of a spiral bound book. You can see the edges of the copies in some cases.

Bernd

I was fortunate to have bought a copy too when it was last offered, like Bernd...I think i paid $42.00 new. The dust cover is a bit taped up now but the book itself is in excellent shape. Whenever I made engines from it I would not use the book itself but make copies instead.

Honestly I wish the family had chosen to reprint the book rather than let the plans out in the various scanned versions, but I am guessing the economics just weren't there. I cherish the copy I have and wouldn't take $450 for it...$3000 on the other hand might be a different matter.

I noted that John-Tom is shown as a member of this group. I certainly don't know if all the plans shown are public domain or not even if the Elmer's engines are, but the Philip Duclos' Fire Eater is shown (even if redrawn by a high school student) and I would bet that one is still under copyright.

Bill

The Elmer's Engine files on my site where sent to me in Tiff format by member from a long since passed forum on Steam Engine Models (nothing to do with Yahoo Groups) - the owner of that forum had decided to charge for the access to the files so the files where put on my server.

The majority of files on my Steam Engines Plans pages have been sent to me for sharing and if there are any copyright issues the offending links will be removed.

All plans are inevitably covered by some type of copyright and I try not to include plans that are available commercially unless they are clearly public domain - the correspondence received from the copyright holders has been positive and as yet have not been asked to remove any files - generally people are happy that their plan is being used for its intended purpose and not being sold by some shark on eBay.

I hope you enjoy the plans and I will immediately deal with any complaints from copyright holders - The fact I live in Thailand is not an issue with copyright law - it is still applicable.

Best Regards

I got my copy of Elmer's Engines book in a roundabout way from another machinist for $85 a few years ago and am forever thankful to that fellow hobbyist !

I was bidding on a copy on eBay years ago and was up to $160 before I threw in the cyber-towel. Yeah, I too have seen copies on Amazon for $250-$2500+.

I'm not sure of the copyright on Elmer's plans. I doubt they're in the public domain ?? The issue has been batted around the various machining message boards for years. I talked to a guy who said he did the original scans and was selling them for a minor fee to cover his costs. Told me that someone took his scans and was sellling them on eBay for $25 and subsequently Elmer's scans (this guys or someone elses) are now available in several places on the net - john-toms (nice site !), Yahoo groups and elsewhere. Someone else started up a steam engine model site a couple of years ago and eventually started charging access fee to his site for plans that are available elsewhere for free. Needless to say, that didn't work too well.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I just noticed your avatar - it must have been a VERY windy day. Not only is the smoke blowing backwards, but the loco is going backwards too!!!

Regards, Ian.

Ian,

Yeah, the loco rods are going in reverse :D. Don't remember where I found that avatar. Smoke going "backwards" usually indicates the loco running foward, or as you pointed out a helluva windy day :D

Hmmmm, maybe I should do surgery on the animation and make the rods run forward ....

Johntom, I tried several times to download the plans for the Popular Mechanics 1963 engine and tried once to download the Popular Mechanics boiler 1963. Every time, Adobe 7.0 crashed as the download approached the end of the file.

Do you have any idea what is causing this?

Thank you.

Orrin

Hi Orrin

I have downloaded and checked both files; it does not seem to be a problem with the files.

I would recommend right clicking and using "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" rather than using Adobe Acrobat to open and download the file.

If you are still unable to download the files, send me an email and I will attach the files to my reply.

Best regards,
John

Johntom :
I wanto to interject here and thank you for the fantastic site you have . and thank you for making the plans available to the HMEM community
Tin

Johntom,

Welcome to HMEM! Thanks for coming on board, and great big huge thanks for having those plans available! Something as simple as that really helps a newbie get going, and it certainly helps keep the hobby affordable and fun. Looking forawrd toyour contributions.

Kind regards,
W/E

Johntom,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Thank you for sharing your plans site with us
099.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I would recommend right clicking and using "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" rather than using Adobe Acrobat to open and download the file.

Thank you for the tip, John-Tom. That did the trick.

Thank you for posting the plans. I remember seeing many of them back when I was a kid and never thought I'd ever be able to find them, again. I wouldn't have known where to begin. Now, you've saved all of us a whole bunch of effort.

best regards,

Orrin

Thank you for a great welcome, when people appreciate the site it makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks to all on HMEM for a great community and sharing your experience and excellent engines.
I think I am going to need a bigger workshop!

Best Regards

John

Latest posts

Back