Lost Foam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Is really cool who would have thought something like this would work. I mite have to try this tomorrow. Thanks very much Guys .Dale

Notice those guys are using multiple sprues to aid in venting, you dont want any kind of pressure buildup while your pouring. That should be tops on the list of bad things to avoid.

I would not attempt this in a plastic bucket. Im not trying to discourage your efforts, but plastic copes, drags, and buckets should not be used near molten metal.

Build up a thick layer then melt the foam out with acetone. Seems to easy
Brock

Too much fooling around for my liking. Make a decent foam mould, bury it in dry sand with a bit sticking out the top and pour in molten ali - too easy!

TIM interesting link I like the looks of the guys castings but pouring aluminum wearing shorts and sneakers. that is not the kind of guy i want to follow as an example do not try that at home folks.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
TIM interesting link I like the looks of the guys castings but pouring aluminum wearing shorts and sneakers. that is not the kind of guy i want to follow as an example do not try that at home folks.
Tin

Tin, I agree whole heartedly. These guys that demonstrate these things with little or no regard to safety should be held fully accountable for their actions should any innocent soul be injured after 'aping' what has been presented on the internet. It just kills me to see newbies in this field perform these acts and/or boast of doing so, "just because they saw it on the internet" and "they did not get injured". If anyone reading this is contemplating 'trying this at home' PLEASE!!! make certain to wear the proper safety gear and have medical provisions close at hand just in case.

BC1
Jim

2manyhobbies said:
Who designed / wrote the article on the original engine?
Brad
I will have a look when I get home and let you know. At work till the 14th :(

As for casting safety I agree wholely. Just need to find a supply of non coated metal containers for flasks so I can stop using plastic buckets. (never melted one though). I remember the first time I pulled a crucible from the furnace I though F%$K that is hot through double front pants, boots heavy leather motorcycle jacket, face sheild and gauntlets, that was with ali. I am both looking forward to and dreading working with cast iron.
Read these rules before doing any casting
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=15199.0
and the reminder below about concrete. My metalurgist brother learnt that one the hard way.
Brock

Back