Looking to buy small milling machine

Help Support HMEM:

packrat

Reaction score
Paul-e
You could look at the The Rong Fu type mill/drill if you can deal with round column and the rack and pinyin up and down problem and you do not want a 40 inch table,
a good table size is 24 inch x 8 inch or so for a home shop ad a good mill vice a good drill chuck R-8 tooling having a 1 HP motor and 1 inch drilling capacity,
you can do some real work...

Last edited:

SmithDoor

Reaction score
When looking for mill it come down to your work and some times space and budget.

Buying over size is harder work to run. Too small takes for ever to work.
Only you know this part.

I have own and ran mills that weighed over 10,000 pounds. Even planer mills that weighed over 40,000 pounds.
This not a hobby size.

Today for hobby I use a small mill/drill that weighs around 300 pounds.
Just right size for my work.
If have a longer work I have a aluminum flat bar 1" x 6" x 36".

I hope this helps 😊
Dave

Looking for a 'bench size' milling machine (vert or horiz), preferably with some age but will consider anything.

If you have something that fits the bill and is for sale let me know.

Im in Kent but will travel for the right machine

Cheers,

Ed
Q

JohnH

Reaction score
I have a 2003 fadal cnc mill I want to sell and replace with a smaller cnc, something that consumes less power. Any ideas where to try and sell such a thing? I'm just not sure where to start.

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Obvious suspects - Craigslist and eBay. Another possibility is to post it in the appropriate forum on the Practical Machinist forum.

Richard Hed

Reaction score
I have a 2003 fadal cnc mill I want to sell and replace with a smaller cnc, something that consumes less power. Any ideas where to try and sell such a thing? I'm just not sure where to start.
I don't know what a Fadal is, can you send a photo?

Richard Hed

Reaction score
Can you tell me about it? How much does it weigh? details to the table, how much you are selling for, etc. I thimk that photo is deceptive--It looks small but I thimk it is bigger than it looks. If you want to email me, my eddress is dgjohnsonstein@yahoo.com

JohnH

Reaction score
Can you tell me about it? How much does it weigh? details to the table, how much you are selling for, etc. I thimk that photo is deceptive--It looks small but I thimk it is bigger than it looks. If you want to email me, my eddress is dgjohnsonstein@yahoo.com
Travel : X 30", Y 14", Z 14"
Table: 12" x 35"
3500lbs
CAT 40 spindle with 4000 max rpm. It also has a coolant syatem.
I'm not sure what I'm going to list it for yet. The same mill on ebay seems overpriced to me.

Richard Hed

Reaction score
Travel : X 30", Y 14", Z 14"
Table: 12" x 35"
3500lbs
CAT 40 spindle with 4000 max rpm. It also has a coolant syatem.
I'm not sure what I'm going to list it for yet. The same mill on ebay seems overpriced to me.
tell, you what, it's a lot larger than it looks. Ebay is always over priced nowadays as people and small businesses have found out it is a great place to sell their wares. i needs to look at Craigs list but keep forgetting.

JohnH

Reaction score
tell, you what, it's a lot larger than it looks. Ebay is always over priced nowadays as people and small businesses have found out it is a great place to sell their wares. i needs to look at Craigs list but keep forgetting.
Yeah I just can't see paying 10k for it like eBay has it listed for. I am having a hard time finding something good to replace it with that's not crazy expensive though. I might just be stuck with it for a while. I got this mill for 1500.

Richard Hed

Reaction score
Yeah I just can't see paying 10k for it like eBay has it listed for. I am having a hard time finding something good to replace it with that's not crazy expensive though. I might just be stuck with it for a while. I got this mill for 1500.
Well, right now, I am looking for a abetter lathe--I have a crappy little enco--I need to cut threads with it and it is EXTREMELY difficult, particularly inside threads. If I can manage a lathe this year, maybe I can manage a small mill next year.

Latest posts