Looking for pre-manufactured bearings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Gwaggs

Reaction score
Hello all in the home workshop machining hobby! I've always wanted to acquire machining skills and finally have my chance.
I bought a casting set for a project and am now learning to machine this into a working g steam engine. I'm having a blast making the "chips fly", but I've come up against a problem that I'd rather not solve at this point in my schooling. The plans call for 3 main bearings to fit onto the ends of the connecting rods. As you all know, these bearings are split and fit into steps build into the connecting rods, top and bottom. I can't figure out a way of making them fit the dimensions without making 6 and sacrificing 3 to get a full set of 3 for the project. Does anyone make main bearings for purchase? Does anyone know of a way of making main bearings such that I won't have to waste 3 to make 3?
Thanks.

Make your connecting rods with the cap as part of them .030" longer than the spec calls for at the big end, but don't bore the big end yet. Drill and tap the rod and the clearance hole in the part that will become the big end. Then use an 0.030" wide slitting saw to separate the big end from the rest of the rod. Bolt the separated cap back onto the rod, then bore the big and as a final step.

Are these bearings where one half is rectangular and the other half round?

If so you can get away with making two round and two square then splitting. Soft solder half a now rectangular one to half a round one and then bore and do any finishing on the outside before melting apart and fitting.

You get one half of each as a spare/practice piece

Back