Looking for plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wa8dof

Reaction score
Hi Guys

With another long, cold winter approaching (I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula) I am planning my workshop activities and thought that it would be fun to machine a "rotary" style engine. By that I mean a steam (or compressed air) engine in which the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinders spin like the WW1 aircraft engines. I have built several "wobblers", "beam" style engines, and a couple of kits from PM research but at this point I feel that IC engines are a little advanced for me.

I am not a beginner machinist, but not real talented either, so I would like to find a set of plans for a basic engine rather than try to design my own. I have a small lathe and mill with the usual attachments so I think I am equipped for the project.

I have not been able to find the plans I want but feel sure that someone out there has what I seek. Anybody have any ideas? As always, free is good, but am willing to pay for the right set of plans.

Would also appreciate any "war stories" you guys have with such a project as I am always impressed with the talent and experience here.

Stay safe and thanks for reading.

Dave

The a look at the Webster engine. Plans are free.
Cheers,
Andrew in Melbourne

Bonjour de France,
Voici le plan (en anglais) d'une petite machine à vapeur vintage rotative qui a le mérite de ne pas avoir de vilebrequin. L'esthétique pourrait facilement être améliorée.
Passe une bonne journée. michel

Thanks for the ideas guys. Julius's engine appears to be exactly what I am looking for but for some reason I cannot download a readable copy of the plans, The plans are very small and when I enlarge them the print is too blurred to read. I will "endever to persevere" and see what I can do.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Dave

I've always been able to download them OK and they zoom in without loss of detail.

There are drawn on A3 (16 x 20) paper size so you may need to do them on two smaller sheets rather than reduce the drawing down to a single sheet when you print.

Try these ones and download them
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/3-cyl_rotary_steam_files/09E-45-00-A3-SHEET-02 -.pdf
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/3-cyl_rotary_steam_files/09E-45-00-A3-SHEET-01 -.pdfhttps://modelengineeringwebsite.com/3-cyl_rotary_steam_files/09E-45-00-A3-SHEET-03 -.pdf

Thanks Jason. Those links work just fine and should be of sufficient detail. Now it must be time to order some stock.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Dave

Does anyone know how I can access the article referenced in the plans?

ORIGINAL DRAWINGS AND BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS WERE PUBLISHED IN THE SCIENCE AND MECHANICS MAGAZINE OF OCTOBER 1955 BY JOEL.B.LONG, UNDER THE HEADING "CYCLONE" UNIQUE 3 CYLINDER ROTARY STEAM ENGINE AND BOILER.

I have tried to purchase the magazine but cannot convince myself that the article is in it and if it is worthwhile reading. Cost is about $10 and $40ish for delivery. I can't believe that copywrite still applies but in any case a 10% copy of a magazine (in the UK) is acceptable - not wishing to restart the debate on copywrite!

Thanks. Mike

I agree Mike. I would also like to obtain a copy of the original article. Many of the old magazines are "online" at places like americanradiohistory.com, but Science and Mechanics doesn't seem to be available. I will keep looking and if I run across a source (or a copy of the article) I will let you know.

Dave

Does anyone know how I can access the article referenced in the plans?

ORIGINAL DRAWINGS AND BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS WERE PUBLISHED IN THE SCIENCE AND MECHANICS MAGAZINE OF OCTOBER 1955 BY JOEL.B.LONG, UNDER THE HEADING "CYCLONE" UNIQUE 3 CYLINDER ROTARY STEAM ENGINE AND BOILER.

I have tried to purchase the magazine but cannot convince myself that the article is in it and if it is worthwhile reading. Cost is about $10 and $40ish for delivery. I can't believe that copywrite still applies but in any case a 10% copy of a magazine (in the UK) is acceptable - not wishing to restart the debate on copywrite!

Thanks. Mike
https://archive.org/search.php?query=science+and+mechanics

Last edited:
I tried that archive yesterday but no mags from 1955.

May be worth contacting Julius to see if he has the article. his e-mail details are on the drawings

I thought I had it somewhere, I imagine it is past any copyright so am posting it here, Mods please remove if you think otherwise. Like a lot of Julius' drawings he has enlarged it from the original design which may be more suitable for those with smaller machines.

Attachments

• Cyclone.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I thought I had it somewhere, I imagine it is past any copyright so am posting it here, Mods please remove if you think otherwise. Like a lot of Julius' drawings he has enlarged it from the original design which may be more suitable for those with smaller machines.
Jason. Julius emailed me the article which was identical to your posting with no further information.
Mike

I think we both probably got it from the same source 😉

I had a look at the original article and of the two I think the size is better and also a bit more economical with all that brass and bronze. I would probably opt for a steel fabrication for the frame and silver solder on a brass boss rather than do the whole thing from brass.

Keep us posted if you decide to make one.

Jason I think you are correct. The article is in imperial and Julius's in metric. Agree - lots of brass. So far I haven't worked out how the seal to the rotating head is achieved - needs more investigation.

I guess my overall problem is time! I am about half way through a Kiwi having spent far too long on the crank. I also have castings for the Little Brother and one of Antony Mount's engines. I can see myself disposing of these and my next engine would then be the 1/2 or 3/4 scale Atkinson Differential which I know is difficult to run but it looks good and I have Vincent Gingery's book and Pendergrast's drawings- but I'm not about to start casting oscillating arms or anything else. I'll use my CNC for those curves.

As a general principle I like to be making one engine and thinking of another or even 2 others and they must be interesting models!

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back