Looking for a good way to learn solidworks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anvil 1000MD was probably the best 2D mechanical EVER! I used it for many years, and when I had to use Autocad at another company I realized just how good Anvil was! An Anvil user could run rings around a Autocad user. I and two other users complained mightily about Autocad, so the company had an Autocad expert, who had written books about Autocad, come in and show us why we were wrong. After three days, he could not do several things Anvil did right out of the box after he tried writing Lisp routines to overcome Anvil's superiority. When he left, he had a far better opinion of Anvil!
That's very interesting, however, I never heard of Anvil. Can you tell me more about it? for instance, what years, how large was the package? What happened to the company?

It is still available. Really good when using a digitizing tablet with menu overlay. Price is double what I paid many years ago, but still available.
http://www.anvil1000md.com/I no longer use it, 3D modeling is certainly better if you are designing mechanical things, but if you still like 2D drafting, it is about the best.

Last edited:
It is still available. Really good when using a digitizing tablet with menu overlay. Price is double what I paid many years ago, but still available.
http://www.anvil1000md.com/I no longer use it, 3D modeling is certainly better if you are designing mechanical things, but if you still like 2D drafting, it is about the best.
searching - - - - your address resolves to the FBI and some blather or other.
So the website is blocked for some US federal reason.
Suggestion(s)?

Got a little closer - - - - - so I can see a web page.
But - - - - when I click on 'interactive design consultants' I get taken to the fbi window.

Ahhhhh - - - - at the bottom of that page is a link to mcsaz.com (Manufacturing and Consulting Services, Inc)
Pricing - - - - 'per module' . . . .
To get something - - - - $3k usd.

Also is purportedly also 3D now.

For that pricing I think I would be leaning toward a more industry recognized package.
That is if I had that amount of funds to toss windward.

I have some strong blockers on my browsers.
Some websites try to get even by dumping me someplace else.
If its important, usually isn't, I try to find a way around the issue.
Looking at the pricing on the 2/3D plus other modules tells me that I'm not part of the intended audience.
I'll be doing paper drawings, and lots of them, before I'm blowing $3k or more on a CAD system.
I'm programmed CAM in g-code written by hand before so I'm not scared of that either.
Don't see wanting it but I would love an excuse to get into spherical geometry - - - for 5 axis cam.

Thanks for the ideas guys (I think it was all male - - - hopefully not going to get kicked into the doghouse!!).

Hi
A number of companies offer free software for none commercial activities
Autodesk have a wide suite of applications from animation through to conventional cad
Siemens offer a lifetime license for solid edge
Regarding training material YouTube offers a large selection of tutorials from beginners through to advanced users
Have a look at there websites once downloaded enjoy many hours of time modelling and animating and cnc code generation
😃😃

Both are free of charge Siemens is a lifetime license only problem is you do not get any updates
Autodesk is a 3 year license but you do get upgrades and access to new versions of software

Attachments

• SNAG-2-20-2021 0002.jpg
    SNAG-2-20-2021 0002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 133
I will have a look today the version I tried is a couple of years old now

Try this link. Definitely says free non-expiring licence. Takes more learning than F360 but looks more powerful once you get there. I'm still using F360 for day-to-day purposes but trying to get up to speed with SE for the next stage of my current project.

Bravo, that looks like a good deal. The risk as always is they change their mind in the future like so many before them. But if it fits the need, well worth pursuing.

At least the software and all its data are kept on your local machine. At worst, even if you never get another update, you have something that can read what you have done to date and write it out in an industry-standard format. That puts you in a better place than some of the other options. Even freeware is dependent on the goodwill and willingness of volunteers - and all software is subject to the operating system provider continuing to maintain a compatible platform...

Maybe. Some trial or educational licences call Mothership upon startup & if the deal is over, that might be the end of the path. Some allow read only, some curtail capabilities, some just stop altogether & direct you to the 'pay here' page. Depends on how they structure it. But this incentive looks like a reasonable approach & to keep it open ended like that is quite admirable.

Back