Looking for a good starter IC Engine to build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djh82uk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive been a member for a long time, built a few small steam/air engine back in 2012 (one was the EZ one). I have an AMA25LV Mill, and a Sieg C3 Lathe. Ive not been in the workshop for a long time and want to get back.

My first tasks are to strip, clean and re-setup the mill & lathe and pretty much start learning again from scratch.

But I need a target, and I really want to build an IC engine that I can take my time with, but get something working with persistence. Ideally I think i would like to build from bar stock and not castings, and it would ideally be available in metric.

Can anyone advise a good engine to start with? I did look at the webster but the gears worry me as ive never made any before.

Thanks

Hi djh82uk !

Hi Guys,
But I need a target, and I really want to build an IC engine that I can take my time with, but get something working with persistence. Ideally I think i would like to build from bar stock and not castings, and it would ideally be available in metric.

Can anyone advise a good engine to start with? I did look at the webster but the gears worry me as ive never made any before.

Thanks

A good starter IC Engine to build : Webster !

Though I haven't built the webster engine yet
I just rely on that plan and make my engine
With gears, ring , carburetors you can buy (if you want you can do it yourself)
The rest of the parts, not too difficult, you need to be Patient . Because you may have to redo a few times with a few parts

Well if you don't want gears how about a 2-stroke, the Firefly that was featured in Model Engineer Mag has been built by many people and is a simple barstock metric design with a good build series on their forum.

DSC05217.JPG

Thanks guys, that firefly looks interesting, i also just got the plans from Jan Ridder for the Puppy Mk2 which also looks good.

I would like to the do the webster in the future, but maybe when ive had a chance to give gear cutting a go.

I just need to get back in the workshop now and start setting the machines back up

I can thoroughly recommend the Holly Buddy 2.5cc aero engine. Just completed my 3rd for Christmas presents. No castings and mine have all run perfectly.
Regards,
Steve T

Latest posts

Back