Longboy's "WEBSTER" I/C engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked back on the material data for Delrin at "Online Metals" and it said Delrin good in air maximum to 180F. A pretty close margin in engine op temps.............and brass still looks better!

IM001297.jpg
You get a grin completing a successful model. About 10 days now with almost a pint of fuel thru her running well and no more troubleshooting a loose flywheel on the axle. Some of the comments in this post seemed to have drawn others to considering the Webster as either a 1st build or as an addition to their collections. For all, especially those with modest skills and machinery in the shop.........I got a feeling more Websters will be born. Thanks Joe for offering up your plans on the web.Thm: Dave.

Hello Longboy,

Your engine looks nice.I am about to finish mine and need your advise on the exhaust pipe you made.What is that aluminium part at the end of brass pipe? A silencer?
Can you provide the details.

Thanks

Dave, you get two feelings when you complete and engine, one is the fact that you built it and second is when it starts and runs. Great work.
gbritnell

......thanks gbritnell, I feel the sentiments :) and now it looks like another Webster is coming from serhat. That is a silencer over the straight pipe. Exhaust exits out of the pipe inline with a hole on top of silencer. Under the silencer there are also holes drilled in the pipe and some of the exhaust blows out and straight down exiting the underside. It is more for "eye candy" rather than a more effective way to attenuate any noise as the majority exits out the top. Would this be your first I/C engine serhat? Dave.
IM001299.jpg
underside view............the silencer is made with a brass baffle pressed and epoxied to the roof of the aluminum body. Four holes in the baffle line up with holes in pipe. The silencer drops upon but is not fastened to pipe.

Nice build Dave. Congratulations. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

Beautiful build Dave! Thm:

Rick

Dave,

Congratulations on a Great Build. :bow: th_wav

Best Regards
Bob

Great looking engine, Dave. Congratulations!

Chuck

Very Nice Build, great looking engine Dave. Congrats :bow: :bow: :bow:

Jeff

Thanks Dave,

Yes correct.This is my first IC engine and I am trying to apply the same exhaust system from yours. I have build several steam engines,both from castings and scrap,you may see them at

serhatece.blogspot.com

The picture of my webster engine is attached.

Brgds

06032010048.jpg

would u believe that is the best of three pics i took lol
one day i gotta get a better camera :-\
pete

Thanks for the acolades this week! Some more "international" fans of the WEBSTER showing their stuff here too. wEc1 .....When and if you are able to, try to get videos of your engines on "You Tube" sometime. Dave. PS. I got an antique digital camera from 2002 Pete. It'll have to do!

Just a couple of add ons to the Webster since completion. An extension radiator surrounding the spark plug, a new Traxxis .15 carburetor, and a "gas powered flashlight" :D......rather a generator powering one brite white LED lamp.
IM001304.jpg
IM001303.jpg
IM001302.jpg
[/img]

How does that carburetor work, Longboy? are you happy with it? I am soon going to have to buy one for my Webster, and I realy have no idea what to buy.--Also, what are you running for an ignition coil? I was going to use a 12 volt automobile coil and a 12 volt battery out of my boat, but what you have appears to be much smaller and more portable, and appears to run off two D cell batteries?---Brian

Very nice Dave. I like the little generator and light, nice touch.
gbritnell

The Traxxis carb works well as did the O/S carb I used originally. The difference being I can set the mixture on the Traxxis with thumb & forefinger where as the O/S needed a screwdriver. Not a big deal cuzz once set should be good when using the same fuel but definitely easier to optimize a running engine with a finger knob. The coil is an Aero Spark brand model engine coil from the '50's when model airplanes had point fired sparkplugs. They are 3 volt and I use a pair of "C" cell alkalines for power. The coils come up on (where else)....EBAY regularly but not in great quantities! Wilco and Modelectric are other brands I see on Ebay and battery cases available here also. Easily transportable from engine to engine or intergrated concealed or exposed on the Webster base mounting board a couple inches longer it sure beats an auto 12V coil and a motorcycle battery. A "turn key" alternative would be the S/S Machine & Engineering complete I/C engine kit for $100 or its various components for less $$$. Roy Sholl, the proprietor, will spend time with you on the phone for your needs. You can see this system on my Breisch hit miss engine at "Longboy4" on YouTube.

Latest posts

Back