Longboy's "WEBSTER" I/C engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longboy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
........Usualy full of hot air (Stirling), I wanted to sniff some I/C fumes this winter and selected Joe Webster's motor for my 1st build of this type. Over a 5 week period from first cuts to a running engine its now time to present to the forum. Highlights and deviation from plans are: oversize radiator, all ball bearings, fatter valve stems, 90 degree exhaust, VITON piston ring and a conventional delta shape counterweight. A carb (O/S .12) and 3 volt model engine coil obtained on EBAY. Motocraft points. A pleasure to build, I had just two setbacks in my approach with solutions at hand. I would recomend the Webster to anyone not quite sure of their abilitys as a novice.....like me! More photos and details to come! [img[/IMG]http://
IM001278.jpg
[/img] ][/img]
IM001279.jpg

Looks good.

Are you going to give us a build log of your work?

I enjoy reading about the journey to the running engine.

SAM

Wow, nice engine! These scratch builts are my favorite engines. That knurled flywheel is a nice touch.

What is the model number of the points? Also, what kind of spark plug did you use? Finally, can you tell me more about the carburetor? I can't find anything on an O/C .12

I like it, a lot!

Chuck

Nice looking IC engine for a first build. The bearings should make it run much easier and you wont' be spitting oil all over the place.
Chuck, I think what he meant to say was an OS .12 carb.
gbritnell

A fine looking engine LB. I can't wait to see the video and the pics of the build. (you did take pictures?) Also, what were the setbacks you mentioned?

BC1
Jim

Nice looking engine, Longboy. You did a fine job.
Will be watching for the video!

Dean

......The carb is an OS brand (thanks gbritnel). Spark plug is a NKG CM-6. I do not have the pt.# for the points, acquired at an estate sale. Since most automotive points are close in size, you just need to put any points set rubbing block on the points cam with axle installed and mark the 2 screw slots onto the bearing block and drill/tap then.

Nice runner. Thm: Pretty too.

Also like the vette and your wheather you have there.

Matt

Very nice. Runs great. First Webster I have seen running. You may have inspired me to try this one. I was looking for my first IC engine and this looks like something that would fit the bill. Plus, I now know where to find someone that was successful. Thm:

Thanks for posting!

Edit; went back and watched the video again and I like the Vette also.

Nice :bow: :bow: :bow:

Runs real smooth

Jeff

I like it! You must be located in the Southwest, I could not help but notice the yards are comprised of stones. Great runner, I especially like the knurling on the flywheel and the muffler and standpipe. Way too cool. Thm:

BC1
Jim

black85vette said:
Very nice. Runs great. First Webster I have seen running. You may have inspired me to try this one. Thanks for posting!

Edit; went back and watched the video again and I like the Vette also.
.......There's about 5 other Webster engines on "You Tube"! If my experiance gets others in gear I'm happy to tell the story.

IM001291.jpg
............I first made the valve block assembly thinking that would be the most difficult, leakage stopping me dead in my tracks. That went well so continue with the build. The 1st problem came with the second piece attempted, the cylinder . The round on the left is a 2x3 in. of 12L14 steel. Drilled nice in the lathe however I couldn't get my Chinese special boring bar to bite. I have a 7x14 MicroLux lathe and never worked this size part in steel. In hindsight, if I had the apron centered better over the saddle, tightened a gib, maby! But since you have to use the longest of the boring bars in the set....... you have your cutting edge hagging way out in space and I believe I would of funneled the bore anyway. Looking thru past posts on HMEM, I learned of DOM tubing for cylinder material and ordered some 1 1/8x7/8 in. The bore is smooth and ready to fit your piston outta the box. An aluminum radiator is slip fitted over the DOM cyl. and epoxyed for a finished assembly.
IM001281.jpg
........... Here is the piston/rod and cyl. after about a 40 minute run in. Had to see if the Viton O-ring was gonna live and it looks normal as does the scuffing on piston with no galls or questionable grooving (5% Marvel oil mix). The cyl. was cut down to 1 in. dia (per plan) with an narrow 1 1/8 in. dia. flange left at the point it bolts to the cyl. head. Its radiator was counterbored about .060 deeper than the length of the flange, slip fitted up to the flange and a 1x 1/16 inch plumbers O-ring drops over the flange, into the counterbore and the protruding remains of this O-ring provides the seal to the cyl head. This is Stirling engine practice and if this seal fails over time, there's always Viton to handle the heat!

Back